monitor question - please help

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

monitor question - please help

Post by choke3d » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:39 am

Just found a couple of options for new studio monitors at a used hi-fi place 'round the corner. I'm seriously considering buying one of these pairs and would love a lil tape-op feedback.
One pair is the JBL 4206's. I like jbl speakers quite a bit, and use some bookshelfs currently for mixing.
The other option is a pair of Yorkville YSM-1's. I've heard a lot of great things about Yorkvilles, so I'm open to using those, and I'm wondering if they are a substantially better set of speakers.
For the time being, I'm hoping to power them with a Yamaha Natural Sound receiver (until I can afford a power amp). I can get either pair for $199.

What do you all think? Is it a good deal? Will powering them off a home hi-fi work? Am I succumbing to gear lust? Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated, as I feel like I should act on this pretty quick as things turn over at this store pretty quick. Thanks!

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Re: monitor question - please help

Post by choke3d » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:20 pm

Never mind - bought the Yorkvilles for $175. Hey look! my own thread where I can talk to me!

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:27 pm

did you get a chance to compare side by side in the same room? Give us those impressions.

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:42 pm

i did, but i wouldn't say i trusted the results. The place is like a hi-fi pawnshop, no real listening room. the clarity of the Yorkvilles seems much better than the jbl's - and i do like jbl speakers quite a bit. i'll be happy to post again once i've gotten them home and given them a test drive.