Portable setup for collecting sounds

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
donkeypalace
audio school

Portable setup for collecting sounds

Post by donkeypalace » Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:48 am

I'm looking for something I can easily carry around to capture sounds, I'm thinking clanks and clunks to build drum loops with. I don't want to have to carry a separate preamp or anything else bulky.

Any recommendations on what (is MiniDisc the only way to go?), who (make/model) and how (new, used, ebay, etc.)? Also, any tips for microphones? The selection at Minidisco is intimidating (http://www.minidisco.com/mics-headphones-mics.html) and I'm not sure I need a stereo mic for what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

pandafresh
takin' a dinner break

Re: Portable setup for collecting sounds

Post by pandafresh » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:26 pm

well minidisc is small [portable], and quiet, and fairly cheeap. i use an old sharp recorder with a stereo microphone..
http://www.reactivesounds.com/delta.html
its only has 60 degree stereo field. but it captures a pretty clean realistic sound.. a USB minidisc recorder would be nice, cause you could dump your files easier. its a slight plain to have to take your player. and play it out analog and re-record it into the computer.. convert and re-convert.. never good.
there are other options.. like portabl DATs and the what nots. but i can fit my minidisc and microphone in my pocket.. great for spontanious recording.
there might be some mp3 portables you can record with. but i dont know.

-trevor

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:57 pm

At minidisc.org they have a collection of portable uploading recorders, not limited to just minidisc technology: here.

I myself have used minidisc and found it to be perfectly suitable for field recording - the units and media are relatively cheap, it's digital so it has CD-like tracks and track editing, and some units take a single AA battery which makes them economical and easy-to-maintain.

The uploading ability for MD hasn't been implemented yet, regrettably, but there's hope because the technology exists (Sony's NetMD allows for downloading onto MDs, but due to copyright restrictions they've decided to not allow uploading...wait for the hackers to get at it).

Of course, for an serious engineer, the ATRAC compression may noticeable, but to me and many other "non-professionals" it's indiscernable from CD quality.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:18 am

I like the old Sharp minidisc player I have; it's supposed to be 24-bit and does sound that way to me. I use the usual $75 Sony stereo mic, and run the results through the Aphex 204 to restore some of the harmonics. The Big Bottom really helps. I do go analog to my recorder, it's not that much of a pain since I don't really use a computer for recording. This is how I'm gonna make a drum kit out of the playground my kids play at!

CDSager
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDSager » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:03 am

The thing about mini disc data compression, is that it does not work like other compression techniques. Most, like mp3, compress by throwing away frequencies that we supposedly can't hear. And we all know that this is bull and sounds as such. But mini disc compression is based on masking. Somehow, the recorder figures aout which parts of the data stream that will be masked and gets rid of that. I think that the result is a much cleaner sounding data compression.

Mini discs are great, because of the track editing and portability. A few years ago I bought a mini disc deck, but I really wish that I had gotten a portable player/recorder instead.

Rock and Roll

penelec
steve albini likes it

Re: Portable setup = Zoom

Post by penelec » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:30 pm

Interesting... I just put together a little suitcase ($2.99 plastic jobber lined with bubblewrap) for summer travel, when I tend to go out of my mind not being able to record.

I picked up a Zoom MRS-4 and have yet to pick up a 128 card for it, but the 32 that came with it is good for a song or two. It's been going on 4 AAs for about 6 hours of recording so far. But for under $200, it's nice to have a four track that is smaller than my first walkman, and since eventually I'll dump the tracks to 1/2", I'm not too worried about the sound quality. Actually, it sounds pretty good.

The thing I'm most excited about is dropping some loops onto a track and then recording some field sounds and boucing it down and buidling some extra-studio wierdness. I feel really liberated, like back in the day when I got my 424MKII.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:37 am

Sharp MD + C1000S microphones

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:55 am

Uher 4400 portable reel to reel. It has a built in pre that sounds great and runs on batteries.

shane
ass engineer

Post by shane » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:16 am

i use a sony minidisc recorder and a rode nt4. i get dvery good recordings with this set up though my md recorder is a little older and i can only adjust the record volume in pause mode. I've tried other mics like the sony emc900 (i think that's it) and an akg c1000s, but the rode just has quality you above and beyond (along with the price tag). the price on the nt4 will come down, though i'm not sure how soon, and it comes with the cables you'll need.

shane

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:47 am

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:35 pm

If your going to go MD, definately go Sharp. The Sonys have to be paused to adjust the recording level. Also, most of the Sonys have a really delicate mechanism for loading the MD, while the Sharps (most of them) have a more rugged front load mechanism. Watch for features, especially with Sony, as many of the newer, cheaper models don't have a mic in. Same goes for the Sharp 180 I think.

I like the 722. Clunky, but a tough little machine with a large jog wheel.

The downer on portable MDs is the analog out. One workaround - pick up a component type MD deck for home. Most of these have optical ins AND outs. They are far less desireable used (everyone wants a portable) and often go under $100 on ebay.

Record out on your portable MD, and then dump it to the computer via the optical out at home.

Good Luck!

Frank

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:00 am

The Uher takes 5" reels. I found a case of NOS 5" 456 at a local surplus store. It was packaged for the RCMP (Canada's version of the FBI). I guess the Mounties have gone digital for their wire taps.