anyone have an ev re55 or 655 or 654?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

anyone have an ev re55 or 655 or 654?

Post by ubertar » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:54 pm

Just picked up a 654 for cheap on ebutt, which is pretty much the same as a 655, which was the predecessor of the re55, which is also no longer made. All of these are dynamic omnis with a very wide, flat response. Anyone else have one of these? What do you like it on? I've got a shure sm76 which is very similar-- a little more top end and a little less on the bottom, and I like it on a lot of things, from drums to guitar cab to acoustic instruments, pretty much everything except bass and kick.
How come no one makes flat response, wide range dynamic omnis anymore?
RE50/635a don't count- they don't have that wide of a range or that flat of a response.
This is what I'm talking about:
http://www.k-bay106.com/e-v654.pdf
http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/sm76.pdf

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Re: anyone have an ev re55 or 655 or 654?

Post by tonewoods » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:08 pm

I really like the RE55 on Dobro or Django-style guitar, when I want to accentuate (or at least capture) that mid-range honk of the instrument...

Agreed, omni dynamics are pretty neglected these days, and underrated for sure....

Useful mics...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: anyone have an ev re55 or 655 or 654?

Post by ubertar » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:26 pm

635a is a popular mic, some would say overhyped. I got one fairly recently and have been using it a lot lately. The re50 sounds the same but has an internal shockmount-- they're the ones used by pretty much all the live tv reporters. They're not flat but they don't have as big of a midrange bump as a sm57. As far as I know, nobody makes small diaphragm dynamic omnis like the re55 anymore. I wonder why?