In Search Of OverHeads Help!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TinRoof
audio school graduate

In Search Of OverHeads Help!

Post by TinRoof » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:59 pm

I am looking to buy some drum overhead mics in the price range of about $350.00. I am currently looking at the mxl 2001 the mxl603s the studio projects C4 and the AT3032. I would like to go with the marshall package and get two large and two small condensers but I dread losing the quality a C4 and a 3032 would give. I have never owned any of these mics and I would like to know your opinion on them and what works best for you. thanks.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Re: In Search Of OverHeads Help!

Post by nacho459 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:13 pm

just get some Oktava MK012's. They are the best cheap mics out there.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:50 pm

musicians friend is running a special on 2 akg c430 smd's for 200 bucks right now.i picked them up recently,and am very pleased with them.

better hurry though

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:34 pm

TinRoof wrote:I am looking to buy some drum overhead mics in the price range of about $350.00. I am currently looking at the mxl 2001 the mxl603s the studio projects C4 and the AT3032. I would like to go with the marshall package and get two large and two small condensers but I dread losing the quality a C4 and a 3032 would give. I have never owned any of these mics and I would like to know your opinion on them and what works best for you. thanks.
Cool. Great choices if you like thin, fairly bottomless sounds. These mics will make the top end sound disconnected from the bottom. This may be aggravated by the preamp so be sure to give yourself the benefit of the doubt and use Neve preamps where ever possible. Really. Budget mics yield budget results and you'll be missing that valuable 'eq-able' middle with the afforementioned mics.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:56 pm

Not true. The MXL603s are great mics. The compare very well to KM184s.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:07 pm

superlux make some really nice ones that are around $200 or something... matched pair. i think they sound great for what it's worth.

colinandrew12
gettin' sounds

Post by colinandrew12 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:47 am

last time i checked, most of us read this website to LEARN things because most of us have project studios and ARE on budgets.....i think all the negativity is just a little bit ridiculous.....we could go anywhere and hear "dude, i've worked on expensive projects and unless you buy expensive mics and have a major attitude your stuff is going to sound like shit" but i don't think that benefits any of us at all......i just don't see how being a condescending prick to everyone that's not as "cool" or "rich" or someone that hasn't worked on as many "major label projects" as you helps anyone ..... most of us know we're not "awesome" and if we did know we were awesome, well, then we'd be assholes too.....

....with that being said, check out the oktavas...i think you'll like them.....also, i've had some pretty good experiences with the audio technica pro37r.....i REALLY like them on toms.....when i got them i think they were going for about 140 each but i think they've come down to like 120 each these days....good luck!!!!

PS.....if you buy the oktavas at a guitar center, make sure and plug them into one of their PAs or something and just make sure they have about the same amount of output, with the pad on, and off.....i experienced that problem with a pair i bought, the output level was drastically different from one to the next, ESPECIALLY when i would put the PAD on the mic in question....
...just remember, when doing live sound: you can't polish a turd....

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:17 am

Oh yeah--and that advice from Jeff just cost you $35, by the way.

I'd second the Oktava MK-012s for overheads, an incredible value, and yes don't get any without auditioning them--do like everyone does and go down to Guitar Center, prop a guitar player up in a chair and try out their stock of 012's on him/her until you find two that are fairly well matched.

Just used them on a metal band yesterday with a drummer with a compact piccolo snare and fine tuned the tracks to get just the snap he wanted. Fantastic balance between the cymbals and toms.

Sissy Hankshaw, come on, chime in, man.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

sonixx
audio school graduate

Post by sonixx » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:12 am

colinandrew12 wrote:last time i checked, most of us read this website to LEARN things because most of us have project studios and ARE on budgets.....i think all the negativity is just a little bit ridiculous.....we could go anywhere and hear "dude, i've worked on expensive projects and unless you buy expensive mics and have a major attitude your stuff is going to sound like shit" but i don't think that benefits any of us at all......i just don't see how being a condescending prick to everyone that's not as "cool" or "rich" or someone that hasn't worked on as many "major label projects" as you helps anyone ..... most of us know we're not "awesome" and if we did know we were awesome, well, then we'd be assholes too.....
You hit the nail on the head...
-keith-

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:51 am

Another sleeper now that there are so many budget condensers out there is the Crown CM-700. A fine SD condenser, and affordable used.

Best,
--JES

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:53 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:
use Neve preamps where ever possible. Really.
That's just lame.

--JES

3db@1K
gettin' sounds

Post by 3db@1K » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:29 am

how many times can this thread go around.... seems to be the usual suspects replying as well UTFSF!

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:31 am

I have been nothing short of amazed of the matched stereo pair of mxl 603s my girlfriend just got for us! They work on so many levels. Great for stacking/layering and as stereo OH's you cant go wrong. There has been a long drawn out battle between these and the Oktava MK012 (as far as the budget SDC goes) on this board for a while, so if you search around, you will find more than enough info.
The set we got, a stereo matched pair of 603s mics, 2 shockmounts, 2 windscreens, 2 year warranty and a hard"flight-style" case for $169.99 brand new in the factory packaging from MXL.
I actually recorded a bass track with one of these yesterday that sounded amazing!

all the best

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:24 pm

C'mon guys, I think you're being a little hard on Jeff. He needs to validate himself somehow. Let's all genuflect now so he can feel really good about himself! :roll:

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:50 pm

I think deep down inside Jeff is crying. He knows that the role of the condescending asshole of the forum has become his niche on this board and he feels that if he were to stray from his role he would not be excepted. He is afraid to be himself and be a knowledgable engineer who is helpfull and respectfull of his peers. Instead he is quick to dispense with a put down and cry himself to sleep at night. Come on Jeff, let it all out buddy, we're here for you.

Oh yeah, the MK-012's are great. I just picked up two from GC for $150.