does one really need a computer for making techno or nin

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

does one really need a computer for making techno or nin

Post by dungeonsound615 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:43 pm

I was just wondering is it possible to create techno like music or music in the vain of NIN without having a computer setup. Right now I have an aw4416 a few keyboards and mic pres and microphones. ANd just wonder ifs its a feasible thing to try or am i nuts to not use a computer. Im thinking about getting a computer setup but for now can i get by.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: does one really need a computer for making techno or nin

Post by OM15.2 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:51 pm

might depend on how you write your songs because the only, (or at least the main), thing you can't easily do without a PC is editing.

If you write your stuff straight through and use minimal editing then yeah cool sounding keyboard and drum machines are all you need.

If you like to compile or write a song through the editing process then you will save LOTS of time with a computer.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:05 pm

electronic music is inherently easier to make in a computer.

i tried for years to keep it seperate. i used computers at school to make the kind of techno they needed. and used hardware at home to make my style of dark stuff, NIN influenced, german underground influenced, etc.

but now its ALL in the computer for mixing and editing. i still use hardware to get sounds and samples sometimes, i'll write melodies on keyboards sometimes, but the real creation goes on in the computer b/c i feel like there's no limits and i never have to compromise. whatever i imagine, i can make it happen in a computer fast and easy. where as hardware is a ROYAL PAIN to do anything bizarre.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:20 pm

Skinny Puppy did some records with nothing but step sequencers and reel-to-reel recorders back in the daaaaaay.

Yes, you can do it. It would be a pain in the ass for me personally because I hate using internal sequencers/step sequencers and the inability to do serious editing, but yes it is possible.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

lichthaus-media
pushin' record

Post by lichthaus-media » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:51 pm

Nope. Although, most of the principle electronic industrial bands used an atari for sequencing and played live to the basic sequenced tracks.

The sequencer is part of the genre - the process - the machine. Even the "step and repeat" function on an MMT-8 was part of the creation process.

I use the sequencer in my ASR-10 as the primary "computer" for artistic creation and PT for commercial work.

-james
Hooray for everything.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:51 pm

no, you don't really need a computer, though you'll probably want at least a hardware sequencer.

i don't use a computer at all to speak of...well, i use it to burn backup cd's and catalog samples. but i don't use it to record or sequence, or for soft synths / samplers.

the nice part about computers is the visual element - you get a big area to see everything. the downside (to me at least) is the mechanics of the computer and the upgrade game.

while a really nice sequencer like an akai mpc might cost nearly as much as a computer (actually more given current computer prices), you could pick up a really capable sequencer like a yamaha rm1x for under $300. it's very visual, easy to use, and has some built in sounds (some are dated and a touch cheesy, oh well). it even has a floppy drive to save your midi data.

so that was a long winded no, huh?

btw...you might not even need a sequencer at all, depending on what your intentions are. a good drum machine will allow you to program your drum parts, often can let you program the bass part too. then you can layer live stuff on top of that.

anyhow, good luck!

frank

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:40 pm

I hated my RM1X - it was not very intuitive. There are better seq's out there for sure. The answer to your qestion is very subjective - I use computers to make electronica, even though most of my synths and samplers are outboard hardware. You can run Live 4 on a puny machine, use it only for midi, and outperform the MPC's capabilities especially for live performance since you can store way more on a HD than onto the MPC. However, I think that computers do not sound as good as hardware - they just don't hit as hard (unless you drop the waves L1 on the LR) in general. Use what you got or find a sequencer that you like and can program (they are like cats, some you just won't ever get along with some you will).
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

Luke The Obscure
audio school graduate

Shameless shameless....

Post by Luke The Obscure » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:08 pm

No you don't need a computer! What you need is the aforementioned MMT-8. I just happen to have one I could seel to you if you're interested.

http://www.mmt8.com/ has good info, so does http://www.vintagesynth.org/misc/mmt8.shtml.
Note to self: Type something clever here.

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:39 pm

lichtme wrote:Nope. Although, most of the principle electronic industrial bands used an atari for sequencing and played live to the basic sequenced tracks.

The sequencer is part of the genre - the process - the machine. Even the "step and repeat" function on an MMT-8 was part of the creation process.

I use the sequencer in my ASR-10 as the primary "computer" for artistic creation and PT for commercial work.

-james
Is there any way to get swing on the ASR10? Other than just using 16T?

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:44 pm

You deffinatly dont need a computer. And for me the lack of visual is better, looking at the computer isn't always a good thing. I also hate all the over editing done nowadays which the computer makes it too easy to do. Hardware makes you think a little more and can be a better route.
Sure it takes longer but the fact that it makes you have to be more commited to what you are doing it can end up making your quality control go up.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:12 pm

Pretty much, your sound is defined by your equipment and your interaction with it. There are lots of things you can't do without a computer. There are fewer and fewer things that you can't do without other gear, but they are still reasonable arguments in the favour of an 'outboard' set up.

However, the point is moot - what you should be getting is whatever you don't have right now, one peice at a time, and living and writing with it for a while, until you have all the gear that you need for what you want to do.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:21 am

This is interesting - I make jazzy dance music and someday want to ditch my computer and go analog. Computer editing makes me lazy and I don't think about the arrangements enough. So any more sequencer recommendations are appreciated.

I think I read somewhere that Squarepusher used to be all analog, but just recently moved to computers.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:07 am

If you define any sequencer (barring old modular analog ones) as a computer, then the answer is maybe.

Largely, the 'feel' of techno and 'industrial' (not early pioneering industrial, but let's say from Cabaret Voltaire's "Microphonies" and on) music is it's quantised rigidity... thus, at least a sequencer is needed.
If you're interested in making electronic music without a computer (i.e. hand-played, non-quantised) then the answer is wholeheartedly no, no computer needed. Bear in mind that it will 'feel' different than a Front 242 record if it's all hand-played.

If you're looking to replicate the complexity of post NIN, you'll either have to be super-meticulous in your overdubbing (I cannot overstate that) or be super-meticulous in your digital editing... There is so much stuff going on that it would be very difficult to play all of the parts by hand...
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try if you want to! Use whay you got, and like suggested earlier in this thread, but whay you need on pice at a time. That's really good advice, too, for not getting overloaded learning a sequencer, a bunch of synths and sampelers (or software) all at once.

"Desert Search For Techno Allah" from Mr. Bungle always seemed to be hand-played to me, but has a wonderful feel that is quite 'insutrial' and 'techno'.

side question:
When were Squarepusher all-analog? How so? Like in "modular synths - no digital sequencing" or like in "recorded to analog 2" " or like in "hand played synths overdubbed without the aid of digital tools" or like in "hardware sequencer, analog signal paths?" I'm sooo curious. What album(s) would that be?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

citystate
takin' a dinner break

Post by citystate » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:15 am

there are a few good interviews out now in remix and future music with liam from the prodigy where he talks about scaling way back and primarily using his computer.

i was running an mpc, dp, and reason and it was just too much. just find 1 sequencer that you like and can work FAST with. the most important thing is getting your idea out quickly and then you can manipulate it later. i personally like the computer, dp4 and reason. mpc's are great too, but i don't have room for one.

my opinion is that you should just go for reason and a good controller and ditch the other stuff.

lichthaus-media
pushin' record

Post by lichthaus-media » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:28 am

Jesse Skeens wrote:
lichtme wrote:Nope. Although, most of the principle electronic industrial bands used an atari for sequencing and played live to the basic sequenced tracks.

-james
Is there any way to get swing on the ASR10? Other than just using 16T?
I usually set my time sig to 3/4 or 5/4 and play the swing - you can then quantize to 16ths and (often) be on the mark. I try to skip the quantize when I'm doing any swingy-style rhythm - maybe just nail the kick and go freeform with the rides and instrumentation.

No you don't need a computer! What you need is the aforementioned MMT-8. I just happen to have one I could seel to you if you're interested.

http://www.mmt8.com/ has good info, so does http://www.vintagesynth.org/misc/mmt8.shtml.
I loved my mmt-8 - it was so damn easy to use...

-james
Hooray for everything.