stereo miking of drums

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Groovedog
audio school graduate

stereo miking of drums

Post by Groovedog » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:33 pm

I am relatively new to recording drums live. I was wondering if stereo overheads would have to be of the same type of microphone. I don't have two of the same and I was wondering if it is feasible to use 1 condensor and 1 dynamic? Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: stereo miking of drums

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:56 pm

you could use different mics and it could be cool..though it wont sound too natural..especially with a dyn and a cond..if you have the means to try it out..go for it and see if you like it..

EarlSlick
takin' a dinner break

Post by EarlSlick » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:08 pm

If it's all you've got it has to work. Just keep trying different placements until you find something you like. This is a situation where you must experiment with placement. A good starting point is just to start with them about 5-8 feet away from the kit and 8-10 or so feet away from each other. Keep in mind that i am not a professional, but have gotten good results doing this with two Large Diapragm Condensers. So just give it a try with what you've got.

Bart

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:16 am

Groovedog wrote:I am relatively new to recording drums live. I was wondering if stereo overheads would have to be of the same type of microphone. I don't have two of the same and I was wondering if it is feasible to use 1 condensor and 1 dynamic? Any tips would be appreciated.
Is it feasible...yes. Will it give you the best possible results...probably not though it is worth a try so get to it and try.

However I would suggest trying an alternate set-up if what you have is one condensor and one dynamic. This has already been discussed at length in another thread but you could try using the condensor (is it a large diaphragm condensor?) as an overhead placed about 2-3 ft. above the kit and having the capsule aimed directly into the center of the kit i.e. the kick. That will give you a well rounded view of the entire kit and then you could use the dynamic as a snare or kick mic. Alternately I have had a fairly decent drum sound in my cassette 4 track days with one Shure dynamic mic placed 6 ft. up, 8 ft. away and aimed at the kit from the front. So that goes to show you it's all about placement and patience.

Mess around with placement and record every one of them and writing down the placement for each one noting what you liked or what lacked for each. Remember that some very cool drum sounds have been recorded with only 1 or 2 mics (jazz, Beatles, Zepplin etc.) Use your ears and don't settle to quickly give yourself time to experiment. Take all the advice you get, try it and find what works for you.
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:29 am

If I were in your position I might try recording a little with the condenser as an OH and then listening to it and trying to determine what needs to be "beefed up" a little. Then let the dynamic be the "beef mic". I'm guessing it's gonna be either the snare or the kick. If you beef up the snare you can get sort of a stereo sound by panning the OH center and the snare a little off to one side (I like the left to give a "drummers eye view" of the kit).