Guitar cab wiring question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Guitar cab wiring question

Post by choke3d » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:18 am

Hey all,
I have a 2-12 cabinet with 2 jacks in the back. One says "8 ohm top/4 ohm both", the other says "8 ohm bottom". So I'm assuming that the existing speakers are 8 ohms each. I want to put in some replacement speakers (16 ohm Celestions (G12T-75)). My assumption would be that I could just drop in the Celestions, and double the math, i.e. run the "both" plug at 8 ohms. Is it really that simple, or is there some part of the jack wiring that is custom for the existing set-up? I did this before, and everything seemed fine, but then the pots on my head started crapping out a couple of weeks later. Ended up replacing all of them. That could totally be unrelated, but I thought I would run this by the wise minds here to see if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for any help!

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Re: Guitar cab wiring question

Post by stuntbutt » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:41 am

I believe it is that simple. You should relabel the inputs 16/8 ohms. Also check for polarity with a 9v battery.

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:01 am

Thanks for the reply - I'm not familiar with "checking the polarity with a 9volt..." What does this do, and how is it done? Do you mean checking which post is + or - ?

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:25 am

You momentarily apply 9v to the speaker to see whether it is "sucking" or "blowing". On some drivers you can bend the solder tabs slightly and touch the battery directly. You can check a completed cab by plugging a 1/4" cable into it and touching the other end to the battery. Touch tip to the positive terminal and the ring to the negative terminal. The speaker should move out. Positive voltage = positive air pressure.

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:43 am

Remember, momentarily, as in a second or two. Also don't try this with tweeters, compression drivers.

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:52 am

thanks so much!