Otari CB-120 Autolocator Pin/Wiring info?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
sanstramp
audio school graduate

Otari CB-120 Autolocator Pin/Wiring info?

Post by sanstramp » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:40 am

hi there,

just wondering if anyone has pin info for wiring up this up? I would have thought it'd be pin for pin except the locator is 37-pin and on the machine (MTR-90ii) the connector is 50pin...

cheers,
Hugh.
hrrrm. it smells like something browning out.

moogrocker
gettin' sounds

Re: Otari CB-120 Autolocator Pin/Wiring info?

Post by moogrocker » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:19 pm

Hugh,

Its unfotunatly a little more complicated than just rewireing the pinout. I got a CB-120B for my MTR-90 last year and was just going to change the connector at the end, but upon calling Otari to get the pin out they told me there needed to be a mod done to the pci board where you actually plug the connector into the MTR-90 because the CB-120 has different power needs than the stock autolocator and some extra voltage (or something simliar) has to be sent to it.

It seemed to be a fairly easy procedure but since I'm not electrical savy I just sent the cable and the pci board to Otari to have them make the modifications with no problem.

Although Otari is now mostly defunct I heard Dana Hathaway, who was the head of their parts department, made off with a lot of what was left and is still working somewhere. If you can find a way to contact him he would be able to help you out. I'll also check my manuals to see if they sent me the technical info for the mod when I'm out at the studio tomorrow.

John

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:47 pm

Dana Hathaway left? Damn. Someone please post if they figure out where he landed. That dude was a encyclopedia of Otari knowledge.

-mark

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:17 am

Unless things changed very recently, Dana's still at Otari in SoCal. I spoke with him earlier this month when I needed a tech.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra