SOUND DESIGN

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
XXF
audio school graduate

SOUND DESIGN

Post by XXF » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:45 pm

What synths, software, sample libraries, etc. do people like using for sound design? Are there any "industry standards" for sound design? I'm new to it, and was curious as to what people use.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: SOUND DESIGN

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:05 pm

XXF wrote:What synths, software, sample libraries, etc. do people like using for sound design? Are there any "industry standards" for sound design? I'm new to it, and was curious as to what people use.
If there was an industry standard, then all sound design would sound the same :) The question you are asking is similar to asking 'what should I use to record?'

The answer depends on what you are trying to do. Are you talking about foley, special effects, or 'sparkle'?

There are some off the shelf solutions that one turns to when budget, and consequently time, are an issue - the Sound Ideas library, springs to mind. But without know what you are trying to do, this it's hard to make a suggestion.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:08 pm

I use a bunch of sfx libraries from Hollywood Edge and Sound Ideas, plus I have a big library of sounds I've recorded myself. That's part of the key--since everyone has the same sfx libraries, you should also have something unique to offer.

Software: I use ProTools. I also have Reason and Acid and Vegas and some small programs like soundhack and Delay Llama (which I used A BUNCH on the "Alice in Wonderland" design I just did).

Synths: Besides the instruments in Reason and Sampletank (a plug in ProTools) I have a Juno 106 and Moog Rogue. I'm not a keyboard player so I never bought ots of synths. I generally drive the 106 and the softsynths with a Roland GK-2a guitar synth pickup, and sometimes use the sounds on the GR09 as well.

I also use some outboard gear--an Electrix vocoder, Roland SRE-555 Tape Echo, and Digitech RP-80 and ART SGX2000 guitar effects boxes.

I have a pile of odd-sounding toys--electronic talking things, slide whistle (you'd be amazed how much I use that slide whistle!), a little plastic tube I bought at the Shedd Aquarium that simulates how aquatic creatures vocalize, a paper bag full of spent shell casings from various caliber bullets, and a huge block of marble that used to be the base of a lamp, among other things.

Mics: I have an AKG 414, some AKG 451s, a handful of Shure 57s, 58s and 545s, an EV 667, a couple of Radio Shack Highballs (these are good because they're relatively uncolored and if you destroy them it won't break your heart). I also use a Shure KSM44, Sennheiser 416 and Neumann U89 at work.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lichthaus-media
pushin' record

Post by lichthaus-media » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:18 pm

We use an ASR-10, E-MU Esynth, and AKAI samplers for manipulation and finishing. We actually build most of our "base" elements as acoustic instruments/noises. We have a couple of custom electrets, a 55s and a u47fet that we use for the sampling.

No computers.

-james
Hooray for everything.

XXF
audio school graduate

Post by XXF » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:43 pm

Great responses. Thanks. To clarify, I have been up for a few commercial/advertising jobs in the past that required sound design. I understand that it's a creative job and there is no "industry standard". I am looking for a starting point and thought that there might be certain techniques, devices, software, etc. that are generally used for this application.

underthebigtree
pushin' record

Post by underthebigtree » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:59 pm

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:07 pm

Awesome link there, underthebigtree.

I love this board.