dbx 117 compressor/expander

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
stui
pluggin' in mics

dbx 117 compressor/expander

Post by stui » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:38 pm

Hey folks,

I've just lucked on to one of these for next to nothing. Haven't actually picked up the unit yet and was wondering if anyone is using them and on what? My idea was for my vocal chain.

Stu :D
"when in doubt leave it out"

hapbeat
audio school graduate

Re: dbx 117 compressor/expander

Post by hapbeat » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:50 am

I've used two of them for a few years now - very punchy, warm sound - though not hugely controllable - and quite noisy! The cable hookup is a bit odd, and takes a bit of figuring if there's no manual.It's a mono unit, so bear that in mind. I generally run it into the signal chain as a pre amp, as there's loads of gain - but of course it's doing a bit of compression at the same time - so if you use it again to compress further, you have to be cautious of artefacts. Love it on my old beatle bass, and for pumping acoustic guitar. A lovely old piece of gear - apparently it was marketed as a device to keep the sound levels of TV ads the same as the shows.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:17 am

Actually, they were designed for home stereo use to expand or compress the dynamic range of pre-recorded music. They were meant to be inserted in the tape in/out loop of your receiver or preamp. The 117 offers a narrower range of compression ratios than a 118, but can still be useful.
Have fun!

The I/O is fairly simple:

Luke
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Luke » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:26 am

It is a stereo unit, not mono.The main problem with unit is the 1.4:1 as the maximum compression ratio. It also has expansion that might be useful. The 118 or 119 are alot more flexible. I'm sure you will find some use for it, if not ebay it. Good luck,
Luke
Use what you have, after all, it's all you've got.LV

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:28 am

I picked up a 118 on eBay for about $25 and it's the shizzlenit. Just balance (it's a -10 unit) with an RNP (just like you can balance an RNC) and it's remarkably similar to the dbx 162 (the stereo version of the 160VU). Pretty cool on drum submixes, OHs, and even bass (just use one channel).

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:37 am

cool comp. it behaves like a 160/1/2...(but ok - it isn't a 160/1/2)...i have 161's...

wonder what the VCA is in there...

that makes me sound like i know what i'm talking about - disregard that implication...

MIke