Valley People Dynamite Manual?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
gabriel
ass engineer

Valley People Dynamite Manual?

Post by gabriel » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:09 pm

Looking for a manual (PDF, photocopy, what have you) for the Valley People/Valley International Dynamite compressor... mine has a black face and says Valley International, but I think there were earlier Valley People models that were functionally similar. Any leads?

Thanks,
-gabriel

Harmony Head
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Valley People Dynamite Manual?

Post by Harmony Head » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:40 pm

man, i've read the manual for the dynamite and it's an intense read!!!
it's very scientific and incredibly hard to understand. unless you really know your stuff (technically speaking) i reckon you're better off without it.

turn the knobs till it sounds good!! (which it always does, i love mine)
If you don't do anything wrong, you never have to worry about anything coming back to bite you on the ass...

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:00 pm

great compressor. i love mine - very utilitarian. sorry, dont have a manual though. set on peak mode for a mono kit mic. even though the controls are different than some other compressors, i really like it a lot.

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:03 am

The manual is available free on line. Sorry, I do not have the exact link. Goggle Galaxy (Sp?) or hot spot, as in the monitor. They bought out Valley and moved the whole company to Kansas. They have several manuals, The Dynamite among them. Model number lists it. I think the Dynamite is #430. I'm not positive. Anyway, the other manuals are interesting, as well. As far as 'technical', they are from the end of the era where engineers were actually...engineers.

Steve

www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com temp site

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:31 am

I am looking as hard as I can. i own the older "Stacked" version in the baby shit brown plastic box.
The closest that I was able to find so far was a guy trying to sell one for $20 (fuck that), and the manual for the 433, which I am totaly assuming is the close to the ones that we own. it is located here
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/Manuals.html click on the 433
r

GLEA
pushin' record

Post by GLEA » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:35 am

you'll want a manual if you want to explore the more exotic functions like inverse ducking or what ever they call it. Not something you'll use every day, but when the need arises, what a box.

I often use a touch of comp in the the signal chain when recording guitars. Gives a little extra shine.

Anyone use the later model? I keep wondering if it's the same in a new box or a completely different beast? :lol:
the country that rules magnetism, rules the world
http://www.donovans-brain.com

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:47 am

I think i have a pdf of the manual, send me your email and I'll email you a copy.

L
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:51 am

Just checked, it's 9.7 megs so I'll tryt o email it, if not then I'll put it up on FTP somewhere where there is space. I know i found it online though so if you can't wait until this evening keep searching.

L
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:57 am

i like the dynamite!
i like the manual too!
http://galaxyaudio.com/email.html
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:36 am

Oops... I thought I was automatically going to be notified of replies, but obviously not... I have found the "watch this topic for replies link" now, fortunately. :wink:

Anyway, my unit just says "Valley International Dynamite"... can't find a model number anywhere on the sucker. It has a black face. Each of the two channels has Threshold, Release, Range, and Gain knobs, which seems pretty different from the picture in the 433 manual on the Galaxy website. I'm guessing, from the product lineup I found in one of those manuals, that mine is the 430.

I think I'm going to be getting a copy of the manual from a helpful person who messaged me on the board. I'll see if it seems to be for my model or not. Basically the parts I'm confused about are:
1) Range control - what does it do?
2) Int/DS FM/Ext detection switch - obviously Int would be internal detection, ext would detect using the external input, but what on earth is DS FM? It certainly sounds different, but what's it doing?
3) The "Link" button doesn't seem to do anything. The controls on each channel still operate independtly of each other. Is there a trick to this?

If anyone has any tips on these, that would be awesome... otherwise, I'll wait and see if the manual clears anything up.

GLEA: A friend of mine told me that the later Valley People stuff (sometimes called Valley International, black face instead of brown) sounds slightly better/cleaner. He has the Gain Brain and Kepex cards.

-gabriel

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:09 am

I have a 440. It has a similar switch with DSP1 and DSP2. These are 2 fixed de-essing filters on mine. (DS) As far as the FM thing, I don't know since mine lacks that selection.

CA

jc
takin' a dinner break

Post by jc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:06 pm

gabriel wrote:Oops... I thought I was automatically going to be notified of replies, but obviously not... I have found the "watch this topic for replies link" now, fortunately. :wink:

Anyway, my unit just says "Valley International Dynamite"... can't find a model number anywhere on the sucker. It has a black face. Each of the two channels has Threshold, Release, Range, and Gain knobs, which seems pretty different from the picture in the 433 manual on the Galaxy website. I'm guessing, from the product lineup I found in one of those manuals, that mine is the 430.

I think I'm going to be getting a copy of the manual from a helpful person who messaged me on the board. I'll see if it seems to be for my model or not. Basically the parts I'm confused about are:
1) Range control - what does it do?
2) Int/DS FM/Ext detection switch - obviously Int would be internal detection, ext would detect using the external input, but what on earth is DS FM? It certainly sounds different, but what's it doing?
3) The "Link" button doesn't seem to do anything. The controls on each channel still operate independtly of each other. Is there a trick to this?

If anyone has any tips on these, that would be awesome... otherwise, I'll wait and see if the manual clears anything up.

GLEA: A friend of mine told me that the later Valley People stuff (sometimes called Valley International, black face instead of brown) sounds slightly better/cleaner. He has the Gain Brain and Kepex cards.

-gabriel
0opkay

the int/dsfm/ext switch select the signal source fed to the detector, just like you think.
the dynamite has a built in broadband deesser.
the DS-FM (middle) position is an equalizer circuit.
bumps from 2K up by 6 dB for the detector;
soo. the eq does not effect the audio passing thru the VCA, only the eq sensitivity of the threshold from 2k up.

so for increased sensitivity to high frequency in either exp or limit mod, you can use DS-FM.

apparently this is a useful function for FM radio broadcast, thats what the 'fm' is all about.

the range control is for expanding modes. its kind of like a ratio control: when the exp is on, how much is it expanding.

the link function is for stereo of course, the controls on each unit still function separately.

GET THE MANUAL!
its informative :D
good luck!
satisfactoryatburntsienna dt com

gabriel
ass engineer

Post by gabriel » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:13 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the info. One part I still don't understand, though:
the link function is for stereo of course, the controls on each unit still function separately.
I'm confused because on other compressors I've used, like the much-maligned Alesis 3630, the "Link" button makes it so that the Channel 2 controls are inactive, and the Channel 1 settings are applied to both channels. If the controls on each channel are still functioning separately, what exactly is linked? Does it just sum the two inputs and send that to each channel's detection circuit?

Thanks again for your help...

-gabriel