Stereo Mix Apps

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wedge
tinnitus

Stereo Mix Apps

Post by wedge » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:23 pm

So, I've taken my mix out of ProTools, through my analog board, and back into ProTools -- all in one fell swoop -- and I'm left with two mono files that make up the stereo mix. My initial inclination was to bounce these in ProTools to 24 bit stereo and call it a day, but I realized that if I took the left & right files into Audition and burned the mix from there, I'd have a choice between 32 bit and 16 bit (for the mastering house, and demoing in my car, respectively). I like this scenario because it gives me more flexibility and, after some A/B-ing, I also feel that the resulting 16-bit mixdown sounds better coming from Audition rather than ProTools. Regardless, aside from Audition (cooledit), what programs are a good candidate to use for the handling and rendering of the final stereo file? I mostly use a PC, but I have a mac, too...

theistheman
pushin' record

Re: Stereo Mix Apps

Post by theistheman » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:18 am

What about Peak?

I never use it, but all the other mac folks are crazy about it for some reason.

Telecastr
audio school graduate

Post by Telecastr » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:21 am

i've got Peak 4.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:29 am

anybody from windows-land?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:40 am

Insted of bouncing two mono files why not record a single stereo track and "save as" skipping the bounce..I can do this in Logic..

skipping the bounce would probably be better in whatever software you end up using..i would guess..

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:57 pm

Hi guys , I have a question. I'm totally redundant when it comes to computer recording, it's interesting, so I'm slowly migrating into it. Right now I'm still recording with Adats and analog console :lol: , so go easy on me ! Question: When you say you recorded two mono tracks and bouncing them to stereo,is this true stereo? I know when you record two mono tracks analog (lets say two passes of backing vocals), you end up with just two mono tracks panned left/right. Just wonder how this differs in computer recording! Bare with me ,I'm trying to get there. :shock: Thanks for your time and ears 8)

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:33 pm

wedge wrote:anybody from windows-land?
i heartily recommend wavelab. and it's pc only, so there!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:17 pm

wedge wrote:My initial inclination was to bounce these in ProTools to 24 bit stereo and call it a day, but I realized that if I took the left & right files into Audition and burned the mix from there, I'd have a choice between 32 bit and 16 bit (for the mastering house, and demoing in my car, respectively)...

I also feel that the resulting 16-bit mixdown sounds better coming from Audition rather than ProTools.
I'm a bit confused here:

- Saving a 24 bit file from Pro Tools as a 32 bit file in Audition gains you nothing. The last 8 bits are going to be devoid of information, unless you're actually doing some additional processing in Audition.

- Were you dithering in either/both Pro Tools and Audition? If so, what were you dithering with (in PT - I don't know if Audition gives you choices.) If you weren't dithering, and just truncating from 24 to 16 bits, they should sound identical. Different dithering methods can sound different, but they're damn subtle to my ears. People have suggested "listen to a reverb tail fade out to hear differences in dithering methods, or dithering vs. truncating", but I haven't sat around and done this yet.

Leigh

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:25 pm

snatchman wrote: Question: When you say you recorded two mono tracks and bouncing them to stereo,is this true stereo? I know when you record two mono tracks analog (lets say two passes of backing vocals), you end up with just two mono tracks panned left/right. Just wonder how this differs in computer recording! Bare with me ,I'm trying to get there
A "stereo" track within Pro Tools, and probably some other DAWs as well, is actually two mono audio files. The files are always named (in Pro Tools) ending with ".L" and ".R", as in "room ambience.L" and "room ambience.R". Then Pro Tools links to the files as a pair, putting them in the same track, and allowing you to manipulate them as one.

However, when you finish a mix, you usually want to bounce it to a true stereo file. This is one file, with the two channels of audio interleaved. I believe the AIFF and WAV formats allow for this, whereas SD (Sound Designer) files don't (though I may be wrong about that).

So the basic answer to your question would be yes, when bouncing to stereo, you can make one file containing both audio channels.

Leigh

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:39 pm

Hey, thanks a lot, Leigh..! As I stated in my post ,I'm just undertaking this computer deal, so...If you all fellow Tape-OP'ers don't mind, I'll be needing a whole lot of help to accomplish this! :ar15: "piss on the learning curve"... :lol: Thanks for your time and ears! 8)