How do I learn to sing good?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
christiannokes
steve albini likes it

How do I learn to sing good?

Post by christiannokes » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:27 am

I really want to learn how to sound really good- not just ok. Does anyone know a good teacher in Northern California?

phait
takin' a dinner break

Re: How do I learn to sing good?

Post by phait » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:38 am

First, learn grammar real well :D

I'm playin', I just notice the good/well thing too much. I'm way overanalytical.

I dunno what to say to your question but if you've never put your voice against musical elements, or tried to write a complete song with your singing, try it. Because I have often critiqued my voice negatively because I've only heard it "acapella" in a sense... I recently watched a video of David Gahan singing, but all you could hear was his words. It seemed pretty awkward, but when I heard the actual song - it gelled and it sounded nice.

My point is without that musical backdrop we might percieve our voice as something it isn't.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:50 am

This is my favourite thread on topics related to this question:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 73&start=0
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Theron D
pushin' record

Post by Theron D » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:21 am

Taking lessons will only polish and improve what you already have. I took a vocal training class from an opera singer at a local college and he explained that to become a powerful singer, individuals must relearn to become "diaphramic" breathers again. Apparently all babies are born diaphramic, thats how they can scream so loud. As we grow, we convert to becoming more or less chest breathers. You can relearn how to become "diaphamic" with techniques and training. This is where you will get your strength. Piitching and control can be improved upon, but my overall feeling is that great singers are born with it.

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:08 am

phait wrote:My point is without that musical backdrop we might percieve our voice as something it isn't.
This is true to a large degree. It's similar to when you hear your voice on a recorded phone conversation or on video from dad's family Christmas home movies marathon, "do I really sound like that!?" It's about the music we surround our voices with a lot of the time as Phait said. However...
Theron D wrote:Piitching and control can be improved upon, but my overall feeling is that great singers are born with it.
This is also very true to, again, a large degree. Some people can sing other cannot. Someone might be able to sing but have no unique, intriguing, etc. tonal characteristics to accompany the ability. If this is what you're asking about then this is something you can't learn from some quack vocal teacher, you just have to sing for yourself and find out whether or not you have it or can attain it.

So in summation, realize you must have your voice accompanied by music that will flatter or fit well with it. You must also realize that you may or may not have "it". Sing often and find your voice....if you still aren't pleased then there's your answer (keep in mind some great singers have hated their own singing voices John Lennon being the first that comes to mind)
"Yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:26 am

Learn to listen to yourself sing. The greatest vocal teacher in the world can't help you if you're not paying attention to what's there. Once you listen with an open ear (maybe by playing back tapes of yourself), you'll be halfway on the road to vocal greatness. Then you can find a teacher to take you the rest of the way.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:21 am

Frankly, I think you are born with a great deal of the ability, the rest comes the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:41 am

Some people are "born with it", but I'll contend that a lot of us can get pretty damn good with a few lessons and regular practice. Better than most bar-band schmuks, at least.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:01 am

And the thing that the bar band schmuck has is self-confidence, which can go a long way towards entertaining people, which I would contend is 99% of the battle. Your average listener is not there to critique tonality or listen to perfectly rounded vowels and could care less really about technical expertise, they want to hear some emotion and someone telling the truth like they know it. Some singers, even though everything is right in place, are just boring, as opposed to other singers who are maybe a little ragged but are fascinating because you're getting a glimpse of something real.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:04 am

Theron D wrote:Taking lessons will only polish and improve what you already have. I took a vocal training class from an opera singer at a local college and he explained that to become a powerful singer, individuals must relearn to become "diaphramic" breathers again. Apparently all babies are born diaphramic, thats how they can scream so loud. As we grow, we convert to becoming more or less chest breathers. You can relearn how to become "diaphamic" with techniques and training. This is where you will get your strength. Piitching and control can be improved upon, but my overall feeling is that great singers are born with it.
Diaphragmatic...

You will never sing well if you do not drink water. I drink almost a gallon a day. (seriously) A coach will give you breathing escercises, troubleshoot problems like nasal singing, cracking...but good ones are hard to find.

Do some research, learn how the vocal folds, diaphragm and other throat parts work, and you will be able to better control you voice. Or check out Roger Love...

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:27 am

joelpatterson wrote:Some singers, even though everything is right in place, are just boring,
Dion, Bolten, Warwick etc. etc.
joelpatterson wrote:as opposed to other singers who are maybe a little ragged but are fascinating because you're getting a glimpse of something real.
Lennon, Jagger, Waits etc. etc.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:30 am

First, learn grammar real well
real well? And you're calling this guy out on his grammer? You can leave out the 'real'.
You will never sing well if you do not drink water
Oh yeah, you think Otis Redding drank a gallon of water a day? How about George Jones? C'mon.

What this guy needs to do is listen. Listen to great singers and try and imitate them. Listen to Ray Charles records or the aforementioned George Jones. Even if you're not into Country music, after listening to him and trying to replicate the subtleties of his phrasing and tone you'll have a HUGE appreciation for what an incredible singer he is. Seriously, listen to the greats. And tape yourself. I'm convinced this is thee way to get better at whatever instrument you choose to learn and master. Too few people do that. I'm always put off when someone shows up to rehearsal without something to record the session with. It's all about listening. Listen and learn

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:51 am

Catoogie wrote:
Oh yeah, you think Otis Redding drank a gallon of water a day? How about George Jones? C'mon.

They both drank over 50 gallons of water in one sitting. It is almost completely unknown that Otis Redding, in his day, was fond of reciting that age old proverb: "Man I'm thirsty as hell!"

Besides, the guy said he wanted to sing WELL. (or good..whatever.)

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:57 am

phait wrote:First, learn grammar real well :D
Whoa...

"I want to learn to sound good"

That sentence sounds OK to me.

The sentence "I want to learn to SING GOOD" is not OK. But "to sound good" is OK.

If you were at a club and someone said, "Man that PA sounds really well" you would punch him in the crotch.

Who's the grammar nazi now?

Devlars
re-cappin' neve

Post by Devlars » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:00 am

Settle down gentlemen. You are quickly and effectively "hi-jacking" this thread and that is neither good nor acceptable. Kindly drop it will you.
-Peter Falk
Speakerphone
Rexrode Records