UA 2108 Line Level Input Question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
federal donut
gettin' sounds

UA 2108 Line Level Input Question

Post by federal donut » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:37 am

So I just unpacked my new UA 2108 and noticed the wierd quirk where the low gain settings are only for the front Hi-Z input and not the XLR's in back. I am curious about running some line level signals from computer or tape through this box (after hearing all the hype about folks running signals through the 1176's without turning the compression on). Should I run the line level signals into the HI-Z input in front? I can't find out anywhere if it is balanced or not, but because it is an "instrument" input i am assuming it is not. I could always run it at a higher gain setting though the through the XLR inputs in back, but i read somewhere that the cleaner, traditional 1176 sound on this thing occurs when running at low input gain/high output gain settings. I also don't want to fry this still unpaid for $1500 box. Anybody? Thanks.

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Re: UA 2108 Line Level Input Question

Post by prince turbo lung » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:16 am

hmmm it is a di input. i think if you plug line level into it you are going to have an impedence mismatch which will result in a bit of clipping. give it a shot though, you can't hurt it at worst you will overload the input transformer (this won't hurt it). good luck and by the way i own the 2108 it is a great preamp, you will not be dissapointed.
its on like donkey kong!!!!

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:38 am

yeah, just try it. if you hear clipping, turn down whatever is feeding the pre.

hi-z inputs are (almost?) always unbalanced if i not mistaken. but it doesnt mean you can t do whatever you want with em!

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:15 pm

well the unit wont color the signal until the gain is way way up there (like 60 or 65) so I doubt if u run it through the XLRs you will notice any grit that shouldnt be there (thats not 1176ish) I will try this later. im thinking maybe the lowest gain setting for the XLR ins is probably line-level. :?:

Dave
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY