Looking for a good mic for...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Big Saccs
audio school graduate

Looking for a good mic for...

Post by Big Saccs » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:00 pm

Precussions(cabasa,flexitone, shakers, fish scrapes, rain sticks) any suggestions???

colinandrew12
gettin' sounds

Re: Looking for a good mic for...

Post by colinandrew12 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:03 am

stapes omnis
...just remember, when doing live sound: you can't polish a turd....

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Looking for a good mic for...

Post by cgarges » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:57 am

Just about anything will work and sound good.

If you want things to be clear and sort of "poke through," then small or tiny-diaphragm mics might be a good choice. The Stapes/Avenson mics are a nice choice if omnis are appropriate for your applications. Also in this category, I like the AT 4051, AT 4031, AKG 451, and the Oktava MC012. My favorite, if the instrument isn't too quiet, would be the Neumann KM84. Sometimes, if size is a consideration, the Shure SM98 and Crown GLM100 can work really well.

If you need clarity with a little more heft in the bottom, the AT 4050 is a great mic, as is the AKG 414.

For the beefier stuff, where you don't need as much detail in the top end, but plenty of midrange clarity, a good dynamic can work well. My favorites for this are the Sennheiser MD421, EV 408, EV RE20, Beyer M201, and Beyer M88, and I've found that it helps to not mic too close with these types of instruments.

And for stuff with really intense transient peaks, like cowbell, I really dig ribbon mics. My favorites for this are the RCA 77DX and the Coles/STC 4038. The Beyer M160 also works well in this regard.

And for some stupid reason, I really love the MXL V67 on tambourine.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC