Seeking suggestions for 'Dark'non-ribbon mic - under $200

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
0xeneye
pushin' record

Seeking suggestions for 'Dark'non-ribbon mic - under $200

Post by 0xeneye » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:48 am

Hi I am working on a project that features very solemn acoustic guitar and a very emotional male voice. Recently, someone posted soundclips of several mics in action recording a Martin guitar. One of the mics sampled was a Oktava ML52, which everyone agreed had a very useful dark sound.

I can't invest in a ribbon mic, and I was hoping to find a non-ribbon substitution - a mic appropriate for acoustic string instruments, no high F peaks, well rounded low F, and condensor...

Does such an animal exist? Under $200 (new or used)? Thanks for suggestions.
0x

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Seeking suggestions for 'Dark'non-ribbon mic - under $20

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:55 am

If you're patient and lucky, you might be able to find a Beyer M380 for less than $200. It's a bidirectional dynamic with a top-end rolloff. It's also got a ridiculous low end. Aside from it's high output, it probably has more in common with most ribbon mics than any other I can think of.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:17 pm

what you're describing, just doesn't sound condenser to me. I'd shoot for a dynamic....other than the one chris said which is great, you might be able to run across one of the various EV mics like the RE15, 16 or 18. There's a few others and they're all fairly similar and I always get them confused. Oh, what about the 635 or RE50?
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:15 pm

If you are looking for dark AND inexpensive, check out an Oktava MK219, especially a modded one with the hi-f exciter removed.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:35 pm

shure SM54.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

TomS
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TomS » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:23 pm

This might be worth a look:

http://www.kelaudio.com/thehm1.htm

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Oktava MK319 - GC might still be selling these. You can find them on Ebay, too. Should run less than $100.
MXL V69 ME - usually streets around $299. Can be found for less. Great dark, colored tube mic.
Groove Tubes GT33 - $99 each at GC now. Great mic. Optional caps available.
Groove Tubes GT44 - $199 each at GC right now. Very cool darker tube mic. Optional caps available.

I'm working on a graph to indicate the sonic characteristics of mics. Might help and give an overview.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:19 pm

Dot wrote:Oktava MK319 - GC might still be selling these. You can find them on Ebay, too. Should run less than $100.
MXL V69 ME - usually streets around $299. Can be found for less. Great dark, colored tube mic.
Groove Tubes GT33 - $99 each at GC now. Great mic. Optional caps available.
Groove Tubes GT44 - $199 each at GC right now. Very cool darker tube mic. Optional caps available.

I'm working on a graph to indicate the sonic characteristics of mics. Might help and give an overview.
Dot: when are you starting/finishing the pre version of this?

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 pm

That KEL mic looks really promising- I like their philosophy.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:17 pm

Audix i5
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:52 am

Dare I say a used Sennheiser 421? They tend to show up just under $200 that way.

The Oktava MC-012 is kind of dark, compared to the way most inexpensive condensors sound. Good versatile mic, too.

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:29 am

EV PL-10. You have to hunt carefully for a good price, but they can often be had for $150 or less. It is a variable-D dynamic, so no proximity build up, but it does have a fairly loose, woolly sound in the low mids and no big presence boost.

The BLUE Ball might be a candidate (Banjo Mart was running them at $99 for a while), but it's kind of an iffy affair - a lot of people don't like them, a lot of times they like them for very specific apps, and it's an odd physical form to work with.

Bear

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:48 am

Bear's Gone Fission wrote:EV PL-10. You have to hunt carefully for a good price, but they can often be had for $150 or less. It is a variable-D dynamic, so no proximity build up, but it does have a fairly loose, woolly sound in the low mids and no big presence boost.

The BLUE Ball might be a candidate (Banjo Mart was running them at $99 for a while), but it's kind of an iffy affair - a lot of people don't like them, a lot of times they like them for very specific apps, and it's an odd physical form to work with.

Bear
I think the PL 10 is the same as a 660. Great on bass cab.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:49 am

patience can yeild you a beyer m260 for $200. an actual ribbon.

also, if you do see a beyer m380 for less than $200; yea, pick that up too. never tried it on acoustic guitar, but i have tried it on vocals when i was going for a lo-fi ribbon vocal sound. worked for that better than my ribbon mics did (they were too sweet and hi fi).

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:06 am

I have an re-10 which I have used on guitar cabs and vocals that I wanted to to tame the high end on (vs. a 57 or a condenser). Never tried it on low end things like kick and bass. It is a very slender little mic but looking at it I suppose the diaphram is bigger than the 57. I assume it is the same as the pl-10? Anybody trotting these out with any regularity?