Quantegy closes its doors

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Mark
tinnitus

Re: Quantegy closes its doors

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:33 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well. If I must go digital I'm not going to do a damned thing to make it sound warm and analoguey. Consider it a protest.

I may even invest in some AKG C1000s and cheap Chinese condensers ;)
WWRHS?

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:07 am

sissy_hankshaw wrote:
sonikbliss wrote:pretty clever 'innit.

I just watched the Manchurian Candidate so I'm feeling a little cynical. sorry

seriously though this really does suck ass. what a shitty way to start 2005. bah humbug
Well, something just dawned on me. As we sit here and bitch on the computer about how our precious tape has been taken away from us, 150,000 people are dead in nine countries. I guess that sort of puts it all in perspective for me.

*discovers arms are too short to reach trigger. breathes reluctant sigh of relief and basks in temporary surrealness of moment. sets shotgun aside, has another whiskey.*
Fuck that guilty liberal shit. I have a fucking family to feed.
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

Stephen
steve albini likes it

Post by Stephen » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:10 am

Some options:
Who makes tape in Russia, anyone?
Also is one inch video tape still used or made anywhere?
Pax, Steve
Necessity is a mother....
http://instantdogma.net

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:07 am

I feel your pain, but to tell the truth I like digital hard drive recording for a number of reasons:

1. It sounds good even if you're not a maintainence pro.

2. It's a LOT cheaper than 2" tape. I bought one reel of that stuff once and when I saw how much recording time I got off of it, I immediately said "never again".

3. I can edit teeny mistakes the next day without having to record the whole thing over again. (I'll NEVER do an all-night cut-and-paste to make a jackass sound like a hummingbird, though).

4. My mixes are in a permanent state of recall for each song on an unlimited channel count board with many more effects units than I could possibly afford in the hardware world.

5. I have an unlimited track count.

For those of you who are enamored of the sound of money*, spend it on esoteric clock sources and high-end converters. Make the rest of the world hear the difference between good digital and bad digital. Move on. No one is going to manufacture something as expensive as 2" tape for a handful of Luddites. They'd lose all their money.

* I don't mean to sound sarcastic here. Spending money on high-end audio recording equipment has made a huge difference in the quality of an awful lot of my favorite CDs, most notably those mastered by Steve Hoffman at DCC. I think everyone on his board are a bunch of fanantical nuts, but I can't argue with the sound they prefer.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:16 am

good thing i just spent 2500 bucks getting that studer restored.

i'm an idiot.

Mike

denial
pluggin' in mics

Post by denial » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:01 am

Tim Casey wrote: 4. My mixes are in a permanent state of recall for each song on an unlimited channel count board with many more effects units than I could possibly afford in the hardware world.
Also known as "fear of commitment". :D

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:09 am

what is the possibility they are moving their manufacturing overseas?

anyone know?

Mike

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:14 am

We can't just....give up.

I for one don't want to feel like i've spent all this time learning how to work on tape machines so that the format can be taken from me before i turn 21. So, i for one am ready to do what it takes to get my tape and use the hell out of it. Hopefully by the time the 'pipelines' or whatever run out, lindstrom will get their asses in gear and have us some new Emtec stuff.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:40 am

Stephen wrote:
sissy_hankshaw wrote:
sonikbliss wrote:pretty clever 'innit.

I just watched the Manchurian Candidate so I'm feeling a little cynical. sorry

seriously though this really does suck ass. what a shitty way to start 2005. bah humbug
Well, something just dawned on me. As we sit here and bitch on the computer about how our precious tape has been taken away from us, 150,000 people are dead in nine countries. I guess that sort of puts it all in perspective for me.

*discovers arms are too short to reach trigger. breathes reluctant sigh of relief and basks in temporary surrealness of moment. sets shotgun aside, has another whiskey.*
Fuck that guilty liberal shit. I have a fucking family to feed.
Pax, Steve
It's not liberal shit, asshole. You don't have to be a liberal to care about people. What an ignorant comment. If you don't think you can feed your family just becasue there's no tape, then you probably NEED a liberal... to give you welfare.

What I'm saying is things could be worse - A LOT WORSE. So go find another way to make a living dickweed. Or learn to like digital. And appreciate the mere fact that you are alive and your nation's feeble economy hasn't just been totally decimated.

SMH
Last edited by wayne kerr on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:47 am

bigtoe wrote:what is the possibility they are moving their manufacturing overseas?

anyone know?

Mike
Very slim unfortunately. The machines are so large that it would cost about $1,000,000 just to dismantle and ship them somewhere. I think our only hope is for the group of investors who are trying to resurrect the Emtec plant. And if they DO succeed, I can tell you one thing- it will be VERY high quality tape - better than Quantegy for sure.

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:49 am

Tim Casey wrote:I feel your pain, but to tell the truth I like digital hard drive recording for a number of reasons:

1. It sounds good even if you're not a maintainence pro.

2. It's a LOT cheaper than 2" tape. I bought one reel of that stuff once and when I saw how much recording time I got off of it, I immediately said "never again".

3. I can edit teeny mistakes the next day without having to record the whole thing over again. (I'll NEVER do an all-night cut-and-paste to make a jackass sound like a hummingbird, though).

4. My mixes are in a permanent state of recall for each song on an unlimited channel count board with many more effects units than I could possibly afford in the hardware world.

5. I have an unlimited track count.

For those of you who are enamored of the sound of money*, spend it on esoteric clock sources and high-end converters. Make the rest of the world hear the difference between good digital and bad digital. Move on. No one is going to manufacture something as expensive as 2" tape for a handful of Luddites. They'd lose all their money.

* I don't mean to sound sarcastic here. Spending money on high-end audio recording equipment has made a huge difference in the quality of an awful lot of my favorite CDs, most notably those mastered by Steve Hoffman at DCC. I think everyone on his board are a bunch of fanantical nuts, but I can't argue with the sound they prefer.
I just want to smash your face in right now. Just kidding! :lol:

SMH
-Hunter S. Thompson

Dave Nutz
pushin' record

Post by Dave Nutz » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:50 am

sissy_hankshaw wrote:
bigtoe wrote:what is the possibility they are moving their manufacturing overseas?

anyone know?

Mike
Very slim unfortunately. The machines are so large that it would cost about $1,000,000 just to dismantle and ship them somewhere. I think our only hope is for the group of investors who are trying to resurrect the Emtec plant. And if they DO succeed, I can tell you one thing- it will be VERY high quality tape - better than Quantegy for sure.

SMH
it will also be expensive as balls! :jazzman:
01010100 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01101100 01100101 01100001 01100100 01100101 01110010 00100001

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:15 am

"Very slim unfortunately. The machines are so large that it would cost about $1,000,000 just to dismantle and ship them somewhere. I think our only hope is for the group of investors who are trying to resurrect the Emtec plant. And if they DO succeed, I can tell you one thing- it will be VERY high quality tape - better than Quantegy for sure."

Thanks...hm...i wouldn't mind paying 1/2 inch prices for 1/4". i think the peeps i record could handle that.

MIke

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:15 am

sissy_hankshaw wrote:Well, something just dawned on me. As we sit here and bitch on the computer about how our precious tape has been taken away from us, 150,000 people are dead in nine countries. I guess that sort of puts it all in perspective for me.
Word.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:27 am

Thank god for credit cards, and ATM cards.... Anything with a magnetic strip on the back, as that is TAPE. Same process, anyway...

The main supplier of the magnetic coated strips for credit cards is in Australia somewhere, and that company should be willing to make up to 1/2" tape supposedly.... Hmmm....

I really hope the guys get it together for some good tape manufacture.

Sissy, How do you know Carl?