Anybody using Logic 7 yet ?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Anybody using Logic 7 yet ?

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 am

how is it ?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Anybody using Logic 7 yet ?

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:30 am

i had a dealer demo it for me..looks much improved..but i guess i would like o know if the sound engine was also improved..

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:44 am

What was wrong with the sound engine?

I'm bouncing between Logic 6 and 7 right now - some plugs crash L7 yet. Overall I like L7 quite alot - everything is a little easier to navigate and some of the new tools are quite useful. I haven't really had a chance to put it thru it's paces yet, but it's functioning quite well so far.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:46 am

Logic 7 is much faster than any of the 6 series. Just make sure you are using Panther without the most recent OSX update, there are massive audio problems with it. But besides that, the interface makes more sense and it looks better.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:49 am

I currently use it. PM me with any specific ?'s I can answer.
It has a few non critical bugs, but other than that, it's pretty tight. I dodn't hear any major difference in the engine. I can from nuendo, and I think it sounds quite good, though I don't do any summing. Take a gander at the sonikmatter forums for info from the gurus out there. That's the best place to get you Logic info.

I seems to require a bit of juice though. My dual 800 G4 gets bogged pretty quickly. Good thing I don't use many plugs and such, but the synths (sculpture) are really great IMO.

-H

angryaudio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by angryaudio » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:44 am

I've been using it since October (I got an NFR literally the day it shipped). And sure there are few little bugs, but it's much better than 6. The streamlined audio editing tools and channel strip presets are worth the price of addmission. Also the guitar amp modeler isn't too bad. Sure there are better options soundwise (guitar rig, amplitude or actually micing your damn cab properlly), but the Logic version is really light on the CPU, and if your after basic Marshall, Fender. Mesa tones, it get's the job done. Sculpture kicks ass. It's become my go-to sound design tool. All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

AA
You don't know me.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:23 am

Good to hear..It's going to be using it with 8ch Lavry Blue ADC..Lynx AES16(core audio)..and Benchmark Dac-1..hopefully all this stuff will make things sound better..

anybody using L7 with the Lynx AES16 ?

Do you think I might have issues with my G4 being 733 and single ?

that sounded kind of funny..

CKD
audio school graduate

Post by CKD » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:32 pm

I'm using an mbox with/ Logic Express. Pretty fun so far. The plugins that come with it work way better than those that come with protools (I'm just working on my own stuff on the side, and can never justify buying software plugins, so that's great for me.) Guitar Amp sounds good, but not good enough for me, tho I hear the Logic Pro version is way better. The synths are really nice. The tape delay plugin sounds incredible to me, but I can't compare it to anything "pro." Great for composing, less CPU drain than Protools or GarageBand in my experience. No crashes or slowdown on my 1 ghz 512ram G4. The interface is very usable and very stylish and good-looking, which makes a difference to me (when I look at the main protools window, I feel like I'm working on a science project or something, and it really brings me down.) I hear lots of complaints about the lack of sample-accurate editing, but that isn't going to be a problem for me.

What are the audio problems with the latest OSX update? I haven't run into anything, but if it's subtle I might not even know about it...
"I could talk talk talk talk talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath"