Tascam 38 1/2" ?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
RebSeth
pluggin' in mics

Tascam 38 1/2" ?

Post by RebSeth » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:43 am

Thinking of buying a Tascam 38 1/2".

What do you guys think/know about this machine?

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: Tascam 38 1/2" ?

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:50 am

I love mine, it's a great machine. You should plan on having it worked on at least to be properly aligned for whatever tape you decide to work with.
I got mine for 550 and spent about 300 on it to replace the take-up reel motor and have it aligned and it hasn't given me any troubles since then.
I can point you to a website that has an entire record made with that machine if you like.
Cheers,
Raymond

morte sicura
audio school

Post by morte sicura » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:27 pm

I really like mine! I paid $350 plus around $80 to ship across country, plus around $275 to have it set up properly. It needed the brakes and reel table height adjusted, fresh lube, new roller, etc., and an alignment. Nothing major. The heads are like new! I highly recommend finding a manual on ebay or from http://www.markglinsky.com/ManualManor.html or similar site.

Just talk to the seller, make sure they use it, and either check it out personally or pay someone to, etc. Take the usual care in buying something like this to make sure it works and that the heads are good.

In fact, if you ask around here, you can probably get a referral to a good tech in your area, and that person may know of a machine that's available. It's the safest way to go, plus you'll already have someone you can take it to when things need adjusting.

-Andrew

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:02 pm

Ever thought of a TSR-8 instead? I actually happen to have one fresh back from service I'm willing to let go :)
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

RebSeth
pluggin' in mics

Post by RebSeth » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:24 pm

pm

LittleDogAudio
pluggin' in mics

Post by LittleDogAudio » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:34 pm

Sure, great machine. Don't expect super high quality and get ready to pay Tascam big bucks for parts. Also, you better find out who still has some 1/2" around and stock up.

Does it come with an MRL test tape, that would be a BIG plus.

Chris
Little Dog Audio
Oh Joy, Oh Joy-More Gear!!!

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:30 pm

I did some of my first real recordings with this deck, so I have a soft spot for them.
I remember it sounding pretty good, but that was long ago.

Dr8Ve
audio school graduate

Post by Dr8Ve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:32 pm

i bought one slightly used in the early 90's. it is still going strong. (also have a teac A3340 that still works perfectly) great machines for what they are.

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by somniferum » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:22 pm

RebSeth wrote:Thinking of buying a Tascam 38 1/2".

First off let me start this post with a disclaimer that I'm just a beginner in the recording realm and that you really shouldn't put much stock in my advice. That being said, I have a teac 80-8, which is the direct predecessor to the 38. I did a lot of research on the various Tascam 8 track 1/2" machines before I bought mine, one of the main reasons was its sturdy build compared to later models. I've never checked out the 80-8 vs. the 38 in terms of specs, but I do know that the 38 originally sold for considerably less than the 80-8. I personally think that Tascam cut a few corners on build quality. I believe the 80-8 was originally marketed to home recordists as well as to smaller studios. Tascam stopped making the 80-8 in 1982, and replaced it with two separate models; the 38 & the 58. The 38 was the stictly consumer version aimed at home recording enthusiasts, while the 58 is a better machine with more features, including XLR jacks rather than the RCAs found on the 80-8 and 38. If you can come up with the extra money to get a 58, and actually track one down, that may be your best bet. But they are rarer than rthe 38, so replacement parts may be an issue. Same with the 80-8, it hasn't been made since 1982, so parts are an issue. 38s on the other hand, are much more plentiful. I've heard good things about the TSR 8, plus it has built in noise reduction, while the 38 and 80-8 (not sure on the 58), do not. If your at all interested, pm me and I can email you specs for the 80-8, if you can't find them on the web.
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

monkey boy
audio school graduate

Post by monkey boy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:57 pm

don't know the other models but i have a TRS-8 which is a lot of fun and sounds great.

have done a few projects just on it...and a bunch of other things dumping the tracks into the computer for overdubs

haven't made my mind up on the dbx. do like the sounds without but it is a little too noisey sometimes...

aa

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:38 am

somniferum wrote:
RebSeth wrote:Thinking of buying a Tascam 38 1/2".

First off let me start this post with a disclaimer that I'm just a beginner in the recording realm and that you really shouldn't put much stock in my advice. That being said, I have a teac 80-8, which is the direct predecessor to the 38. I did a lot of research on the various Tascam 8 track 1/2" machines before I bought mine, one of the main reasons was its sturdy build compared to later models. I've never checked out the 80-8 vs. the 38 in terms of specs, but I do know that the 38 originally sold for considerably less than the 80-8. I personally think that Tascam cut a few corners on build quality. I believe the 80-8 was originally marketed to home recordists as well as to smaller studios. Tascam stopped making the 80-8 in 1982, and replaced it with two separate models; the 38 & the 58. The 38 was the stictly consumer version aimed at home recording enthusiasts, while the 58 is a better machine with more features, including XLR jacks rather than the RCAs found on the 80-8 and 38. If you can come up with the extra money to get a 58, and actually track one down, that may be your best bet. But they are rarer than rthe 38, so replacement parts may be an issue. Same with the 80-8, it hasn't been made since 1982, so parts are an issue. 38s on the other hand, are much more plentiful. I've heard good things about the TSR 8, plus it has built in noise reduction, while the 38 and 80-8 (not sure on the 58), do not. If your at all interested, pm me and I can email you specs for the 80-8, if you can't find them on the web.
Great info. Thanks for that! :wink:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:00 am

I used this machine for years. Notice what has been said:

Red Rockets Glare spent $500 on it then $300 for repair.

morte sicura $350 then $275 to have it set up.

You really can't align these at home. You have to get an expert. FWIW get a Real Authorized TASCAM facility. The real pro machines are made to tweak constantly, these are not.
If you want nostalgia get this deck - nostalgia is after all, priceless.
MHO If you want to lay down tracks get an Alesis HD 24 or even a tape based ADAT.
If you really want Tape, try an Ampex or MCI - the 8 qand 16 track units are cheaper and plentifull as they were used in radio production.

Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

goldsoundz
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldsoundz » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:07 am

Nirvana did some b-sides and a 7" on this machine

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:31 am

goldsoundz wrote:Nirvana did some b-sides and a 7" on this machine
YA? They did it because they didn't have ADATs!!

morte sicura
audio school

Post by morte sicura » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:50 pm

There are actually three tiers to the 80s line-up mentioned above, the 38, 48, and 58. There are also two-track versions, the 32, 42, and 52. I believe there are four-tracks as well. I don't think you will have trouble finding soneone to service these machines. As I said above, I have a local guy who works on several of these machines. He does a lot of work of all kinds - last few timess I was in, he had an Ampex ATR-124! My point is that though it is true these machines aren't as maintenance-friendly as a commercial deck, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a competent tech. Just make sure you get a manual.

-Andrew