At The Gates -Slaughter Of The Soul:perfect metal recording?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
east3rdst
gettin' sounds

At The Gates -Slaughter Of The Soul:perfect metal recording?

Post by east3rdst » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Maybe. But check out the new Decibel mag for a killer interview with the band and Fredrik Nordstrom the engineer. It's been ten years. The kick drum was 20% Pantera Far Beyond Driven kick sample and the snare was 20% Reign in blood. Really cool interview from maybe the best current metal mag.
Donny Cooper

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: At The Gates -Slaughter Of The Soul:perfect metal record

Post by soundguy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:11 pm

the most perfect metal record is Metallica St. Anger.

Duh.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

east3rdst
gettin' sounds

Post by east3rdst » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:43 pm

It's funny, i have a copy of St.Anger as a reference cd of "the worst sounding shit ever" sitting around. I have to make a point of telling bands if they notice it, that it's just there as a joke. It gets a laugh.
Donny Cooper

thebman
audio school

Post by thebman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:45 pm

Pretty much the perfect metal record.

Matt Bayles has been producing some of the better metal coming out lately--Isis, Mastadon, These Arms Are Snakes (oops, not metal, but heavy), Botch, Norma Jean, etc--and luckily he plays the electronics in my band...makes recording a dream...

waitingroom
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by waitingroom » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:47 pm

I personally like the sound of Botch - We are the Romans.

thebman
audio school

Post by thebman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:53 pm

waitingroom wrote:I personally like the sound of Botch - We are the Romans.
That's a good one. Like I said, the dude makes good metal records (and pop records, and rock records, and pretty near anything).

somniferum
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by somniferum » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:08 pm

"Slaughter of the Soul" is an excellent album, both in terms of music/performance and the recording itself. My only tiny beef with it is that the bass guitar could be a tad more present/louder in the mix, but that's being nitpicky really, although inaudibility of bass in death metal recordings is a pretty prevalent affliction. If anyone wants to hear a really close to flawless metal recording, check out AMON AMARTH- "Fate of Norns." Amazing album, it was recorded at Berno Studio in Sweden on analog equipment (I believe an Otari MTR90 III). The drums sound huge! and the bass is thick as well. You can hear every instrument with clarity, right down to each cymbal hit. Definitely the best metal recording in the last few years. Everything I've heard from that studio in the last few years sounds great. The new GOD DETHRONED was recorded there as well, but I haven't gotten the opportunity to hear it yet.
"Don't worry about me, I've got a bed. I've got a Christmas tree inside my head."

http://www.myspace.com/somniferumky
http://www.myspace.com/wurmkraut

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:05 pm

thebman wrote:Pretty much the perfect metal record.

Matt Bayles has been producing some of the better metal coming out lately--Isis, Mastadon, These Arms Are Snakes (oops, not metal, but heavy), Botch, Norma Jean, etc--and luckily he plays the electronics in my band...makes recording a dream...
Did he do that dNb remix at the end of that botch album? They made incredible albums and were even better live.
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

we are the romans
audio school graduate

Post by we are the romans » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:04 pm

yes yes yes. botch botch botch. we are the romans was an AMAZING album.
i even named myself after it!

Kevin Kitchel
buyin' gear

Post by Kevin Kitchel » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:35 pm

20% RiB?! That is a huge suprise, as RiB doesn't have half of the attack that that SotS has. One time before seeing At The Gates live w/ Napalm Death in Kalamazoo, my friend told them that they were going to be legends, and they just laughed. The liner notes for the reissue of SotS have some funny words about the guitar sound too. A homemade 2x10 and a metalzone?

I also think it is weird that the bass is mixed so low because he wrote more than half the songs! I like it, and don't disagree with the mix, I just think it is weird.