vocals and overheads

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
old crow
audio school

vocals and overheads

Post by old crow » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:56 pm

O.K. Here's my first post :roll:
I'm trying to find mics that will serve as dual purpose , for vocals and drum overheads. :?
Were recording mostly alt country, surf, 60's kind of stuff.
I'll be using a B-52 on the kik, and a 57 on the snare.
Would it work to use an unmatched pair on the o.h.'s i.e. a MXL 67 and a A.T. 4047. That way I'd have a couple different sounding fairly decent vocal mic's .

heylow
george martin

Re: vocals and overheads

Post by heylow » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:32 pm

I don't know if I'd get an unmatched set going on OHs. I mean...it can be done but I doubt you'd want it to be your "norm". If you went with a mono overhead, you could certainly work the different flavor thing.

That aside...

My experience and taste would be the AT4047s. They're great mics on vocals and drums as well as a great many other things. They have sort of a warm thick sound to them that I like quite a bit. With the pads and hi-pass filters, and depending on the pre you go into, you can get a great variety of sounds out of them. A little pricey for some, but worth it in my opinion as you won't feel the need to get rid of them later when the collection grows.

heylow

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:12 pm

Dave, is that you?

old crow
audio school

Post by old crow » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:37 pm

thanks heylow. I think I'll be buying at least one 4047 . btw, would any of you guys happen to know what the difference is between the B and the SV. Is it just color?
Pre amps for now are , a Brick and a VTB-1. Thinking of adding another Brick or DMP-3

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:55 pm

old crow wrote:thanks heylow. I think I'll be buying at least one 4047 . btw, would any of you guys happen to know what the difference is between the B and the SV. Is it just color?
Pre amps for now are , a Brick and a VTB-1. Thinking of adding another Brick or DMP-3
I've never heard of a B model. By the description, it sounds like the letters would mean "Black" and "Silver" though. There isn't a B listed on the current site. That doesn't mean much though....if it's a 4047 and comes with a shock mount, you should be in good hands...I've seen some sell w/o them!

heylow