Opinions on Tascam/Teac 8-track 1/2" analog decks

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
endofanera
gettin' sounds

Opinions on Tascam/Teac 8-track 1/2" analog decks

Post by endofanera » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:24 am

I'm currently running a Digi 001 setup with a partner and we'd like to begin tracking to tape and then dumping the resuiltant tracks into Protools and doing overdubs and the like there. Based on some research and past experience, I've more or less settled on getting an Otari or Teac 1/2" 8-track for the analog tracking portion of this plan. The budget for the initial purchase of this deck is around $750, obviously if I could spend less that would be awesome.

While I've been able to get all the info I wanted on Otari stuff, I've found precious little info (even searching the forums) on the relative merits and potential shortcomings of some of the older Teac analog 1/2" 8-track decks - the 80-8 (the only one that I've actually used), 38, 48, 58 (are there other models?). I have read that the 38, 48, and 58 have some problems with overheating, but that's about it.

My basic questions (and please feel free to elaborate or to add comments on Otari decks if you're feeling like it):

1) What problems in yr experiences should I be specifically on the lookout for with respect to these decks?

2) Which would be yr preferred choice and why? Also if any of these are absolutely not worth buying, please say so.

3) What would you be willing to pay for any of these, assuming good condition?

Thanks bunches.

Now Playing: King Tubby - "Jam Down"
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Re: Opinions on Tascam/Teac 8-track 1/2" analog decks

Post by mrdazobee » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:49 am

Check also the tascam tsr 8 which is a bit newer than the teac/tascam gear you mentioned.They solved the problem of overheating with this one.I use one and love it.Check the headwear and transport motors if you are buying 2nd hand.You should easy pick one up for $750 and probably less.If you need more info on the other models try keying in Tascam instead of Teac on the search engine.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:40 am

I've done a whole ton of reading and researching for exactly your scenario. I owned a Tascam TSR-8 and I didn't have it set up and properly biased so I wasn't too happy with the results I was getting. No telling what I could have gotten if it had been set up right. Anyhow, I got an otari 5050 4 track after that, and now a Tascam 48.
I believe with the TSR-8, 38, and 80-8, you will generally be getting pretty similar recordings sonic wise, depending on the condition of the machine and if it's aligned right and biased.
A step up from these would be the Otari 5050's.
And this is debatable, but I think a step up from the 5050's though not a real big one, would be the Tascam 48 and 58, their "pro" models. They have balanced in's and outs where the others don't, though the Otari has xlr ins and outs, which can be misleading, 'cause they're not balanced.
I think in the case of the 38 and 80-8, there are some problems with (blown circuits? or bad soldering or something?) with the machines that have seen a lot of use. Don't quote me on that. Just something I thought I'd heard.
The Otaris are definately the most popular, so the price tends to be higher and they tend to have seen a lot of use.
I'd say look for a Tascam 48 or 58. I love my 48. It's the best recorder I've ever owned.
I payed something like $550 for it, buy that was a really good deal. It was among two other 48's on ebay where the other two had a better description and nicer pictures but I did a lot of emailing and decided that the one I bought was the better deal. If you're buying from ebay I'd look for phrases like "thoroughly tested" "just serviced by a tech" and "cleaned and demagnetized regularly" even if the machine has seen a lot of use the "cleaned and demagnetized regularly" part is more important than the amount of hours on the machine, in my opinion. I'd stay clear of phrases like "was working when it was put into storage ten years ago" or "less than 50 hours, has been in storage for the last ten years" or "great condition, though I have no way to check it" And definately budget in the money for a tech to service it, even if it says it was just serviced. In that regard, don't know where you're from, but I gotta recommend Michael Gore in San Francisco if you're around the Bay Area.
Great Guy!!!

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:46 am

I have an 80-8 and love it. I payed $550 for which included a general servicing and the only problem I've had with it in the last two years is the tension arm is starting to lose its tension. Great machine, just assume whatever you pay for it, it will cost you about $200 more to get it running smoothely and then another $100 per year on average.

-doc

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:17 am

TSR-8 owner here. After learning the maintenance chores, I am really digging this machine.

One of the best attributes of the TSR-8 is portability. You can take it out on location easily to take advantage of a superior recording space, then bring the deck back to the home base.

I've schlepped mine around quite a bit over several projects, and I was surprised that the azimuth has held its alignment well.

The built in dbx can be a plus too, especially for quieter stuff.

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:55 am

I have two 38s, I basicly feel like as far as these lower priced reel to reels, you need to know all the upkeep and alignment, you need to be able to solder and get in there and check things out, I only track drums and bass to my 456 biased tape machine, and dump and over dub digitally, I would just say if your getting an 8track I would deffinately find a tech near you and ask him which one you should get, that way you know he can help you get it going and will be there for support, the tech guy near me said get a 38, he said they are common and reliable, pretty easy to fix and maintain, but I would say whatever machine you get just take care of it like its your baby, and be prepaired to want more tracks pretty much right off the bat, I would even say wait and get a 1inch 16track, most likely you'll have the same problems with them but you'll have more tracks. and also I have never had any heating problems with either my decks...

I dunno, hope that helped
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

penelec
steve albini likes it

Re: DJEZ

Post by penelec » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:15 pm

I'm on DJEG's page: Owned mine since a guy from Cali shipped it to me 5 (6?) years ago. I live in NY. A friend who's a good tech came over and was impressed how little alignment/calibration it needed -- basically we stuck a reel of 456 on it and I've been going since.

It's been a real workhorse, and as the man said, it can be schlepped hassle-free. Only issue has been a weird over-shooting during RTZing. Then I hit stop and it stops. But other than that, I love it. Quiet, too. Great for us non-pro, no control room recording makers.

--Chandler

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:06 am

Thanks all, for your thoughts. Any more?
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:30 am

I own a 38 with an Anvil roller-case that I bought in the local gear paper 'the recycler'. I had to replace a motor in it, about 300 bucks, but I only paid 500, so I'm still very happy with the deal. I've used it for drums and bass before the digital realm, as well as full-production tracking and been VERY happy with the sound.
Mine seems to like the GP9 tape the most. I can press into the red forever without getting any nasty 'overs', it just gets creamy and compressed.
It's not as Hi-Fi as a 1 inch 8 track, but it's also not the size of a washing machine.
Keep in mind you'll need a converter with 8 inputs to get this into the computer. I use the MOTU 828 with great results.
Cheers,
Raymond
P.S. I have some soundfiles of some songs recorded on the Tascam 38 if you'd like to hear.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:24 am

I've got the 48 and like honkyjonk, I love it. Bought locally from an ad in the Recycler, like redrockets. Mine was $700, but came with punch in pedal, remote, 2 snakes, takeup reel, 6 used reels, roll around stand, and the 4 channel NR units.

The 48's great, I slam the pschitt out of it and it always loves me.

Rollin' with the 1/2", yo.