wasn't there a thread about RAMSA mixers recently?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
loudmusic
steve albini likes it

wasn't there a thread about RAMSA mixers recently?

Post by loudmusic » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:48 am

Hi, just went through the first 40 archived pages and can't find anything, but I seem to remember a short thread about them??
Anyone remember that? Know where it is approximately??

There is a guy in town with a Ramsa for sale and I could get it for cheap, I want to know if it's worth it. I am not expecting a NEVE... nor do I expect it to be as nice as a SOUNDCRAFT, but how might it compare to a MACKIE with the older VLZs?

Anyone know of specific models to look for?
8-16-24 channels could all fit into my set up... would depend on how good the pre's/eq/flexibility is compared tot what I already have.

Thanks,
Martin

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: wasn't there a thread about RAMSA mixers recently?

Post by E-cue » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:46 pm

You aren't thinking of another forum are you? I've been following one over at gearslutz with audio examples.
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.p ... ight=Ramsa

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:06 pm

No, it was here.

Thanks for the heads up though... I'll check it out!

Martin

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:07 pm

No, it was here.

Thanks for the heads up though... I'll check it out!

Martin

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:17 pm

I got a Ramsa WR-8118 which is 18 channels, 4 buses, one Aux send and inline monitoring with direct outs and inserts on every channel. Personally I think its a great board if you get it pretty cheap. I think the pres are pretty much on par if not slightly better than the Mackie, Behringer stuff but I think they have a bit more character and headroom which I like. I've never loved the eq on the board but I never touch the eq on behringer and mackie stuff either. The direct outs and the inserts are great and hard to come by on every channel on a board so cheap (I got mine for a few hunderd bucks in pretty good condition). In the 5 or so years I've owned it I haven't really had any problems, a dirty pot here and there but nothing serious. I did however recently put it up for sale because I no longer had room for such a cumbersome beast (I track on the computer and mix in the box) and the 1 aux send wasn't enough. But all in all I got some pretty good use out of it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over mackie or behringer, I think it really depends on the model # of the board and how much your going to have to pay for it. I'm still selling mine too, it can be picked up in CHicago or Bloomington, IN if your interested. I hope this helps, you might want to post your needs or current setup so you could get some better insight.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:28 pm

do you have the model #?

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:54 pm

not to worry, just keep tracking....

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:47 pm

the guys we share our studio with brought down a ramsa wr or ws 4416 or 4412, i can't remember what all the numbers are. anyway, it's 16x4x2, 4 sends, 4 returns, inserts, switchable 48v for each channel, some other niceties. all in all, way more board than i was expecting. pre's are clean all the way up, but there's not a ton of gain. pretty clean all around, actually. blows the doors off the little behringer i used (those things are just awful), and i like it a somewhat better than the mackie 1602 or whatever we had here. can get a little glassy with condensers. EQ is not great but good enough for high or low roll-off.

we're using it mostly it for a monitoring mixer while tracking, which it's perfect for. but i wouldn't mix through it.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:30 am

Looks like it's ending soon - here's a nice Ramsa board on eBay.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:37 am

I used a RAMSA WR-4416 for years and years, until I got my new Allen & Heath WZ 12:2 dx. It was very flexible all around and I loved it. Finally got tired of lugging it around to record concerts-- by contrast, the A&H is lighter than air, and the pre's and channels have an immediacy and cleanliness that can't be beat.

Of course, like everyone else, these days I track through separate mic pre/compressor sets directly to disc. But in the day--it was my faithful companion, and a huge improvement over the Tascam stage mixer that preceded it.

Ah memory lane...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:55 am

just for completeness, i looked at the model number on ours. WR-S4412. just noticed it has master bus inserts too. sweet.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."