this may seem stupid (di box question)...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

this may seem stupid (di box question)...

Post by wing » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:59 am

but i never understood why to use DI boxes. i've always just mic'ed amps... is there an advantage to DI boxes? I've never personally gotten bad sounds micing amps... but i've noticed more and more that people talk about using DI boxes and how there are these DI boxes that cost like $400-1000... but what advantage makes it worth that much? is there anything wrong with micing an amp in recording? i wouldn't think so. is there a specific time you'd want to use a DI box over micing an amp and vice versa? i'm trying to build up my studio more and more every paycheck, and getting a DI box is like the last thing on my list after getting a lot more nice mics, pres, compressors, etc. but then again, should a DI box be more important to me? should I consider it much more?

i understand what a DI box does, i just don't understand the advantage of it that makes paying the same amount for a good mic i could just use on an amp instead (among many other places) actually worth it.

sorry this seems so rudimentary... everyone just seems to talk about it with such great knowledge and i feel kinda dumb and left out for not knowing about it enough.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: this may seem stupid (di box question)...

Post by bedbug » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:08 pm

I dunno. I've recorded direct with my Morley JD-10 pedal a lot. I think it sounds like an amp. The biggest advantage I could see would be convenience. I can fit my 8 track, guitar amp (Morley JD-10) and my drum set (Alesis SR-16) all on one desk. There you go - band on a desk.

I definitely prefer miking an amp over direct, but maybe in those instances where I want a really dry guitar sound ... maybe for an overdubbed part in the background or something. But I generally agree with you. I do the majority of my "main" guitar parts with an amp. You can't beat it.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:11 pm

bedbug wrote:I dunno. I've recorded direct with my Morley JD-10 pedal a lot. I think it sounds like an amp. The biggest advantage I could see would be convenience. I can fit my 8 track, guitar amp (Morley JD-10) and my drum set (Alesis SR-16) all on one desk. There you go - band on a desk.
but it seems even major studios with a wealth of space utilize DI boxes, and there are people using DI boxes that cost over $1000... there has to be something about them more than space conservation.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:13 pm

I mostly see it in live tracking situations. It is a quicker setup, and with limited live space you can track drum and bass together (for groove) without a bass amp bleeding everywhere, or alternately stuck in some bathroom on the other side of the house.

The key, as you note, is getting a good one that respects the low end. Avalons, etc, a B.A. Neve 1272 w/ high Z input on front in a 2U hardcase was the preferred.

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:20 pm

well, a common use is bass, like sm58 on the cab and a di, or any combo of the sort, find what yer missing from the mic, or ways you can help the di with the mic or the other way around. and ya know stuff and things!
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:26 pm

don't forget some instruments like synths and elec. pianos that don't always benefit from going through an amp.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:35 pm

Some guys just don't like recording through an amp too. We had some folks in several weeks ago like that. One had a rig that was all vintage analog synths, mostly based around an ARP 2600 (and it was totally cool seeing one of those again...), and he specifically wanted to go through DI's 'cause he was used to doing things that way. So did the reed player for some of the effected parts, though he also used a mic and amp. Some bass players like to run a DI along with a mic'ed amp to get a more defined sound too...something to mix and match, which is nice when you're tracking many songs with a similar setup and want to keep them from all sounding the same. Like many items, you can spend a lot or a little to get the basic function. I'd like to get another DI, not only to have more (the "aww man, if I'd known you only had 2 DI's I'da brought some of mine" is kinda embarassing to hear as an owner...) but for other flavors and functions. I'm saving for one of the Little Labs products 'cause they sound like super cool boxes that do several things, and very well if the reports are accurate...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:56 pm

I'm suprised nobody else mentioned this yet, but sometimes its nice to be able to record a bass or a guitar direct, so all your doing is capturing the sound of the instrument and then when you have a better idea of the song, you take that track reamp and then mic the amp. That way you don't have to commit to a specific guitar tone during the intial tracking phase and have the flexability to try a different amps or even utilize different mic/room techniques that might not be available especially if your tracking live with other musicians ie bleed.

Another use is going direct into a DAW where you can use all the different amp modeling programs such as amplitute, amp farm, warp etc...

Ultimatly I think its one of those techniques that can be used both out of convienience and adding another sonic color to the palette.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:06 pm

I just realized I didn't completley answer your question, why spend so much money, well cost doesn't always equal quality but why spend 1000+ on a Neumann mic when plenty of great records have been made with 57s or why drop a ton of cash on an API lunch box when a set up sytek pres are quite good in themselves. First of all if you got the cash why not, and while I previously mentioned cost doesn't neccessarily equate quality, there is something to be said sometimes for cheapo gear verses those pricey units most of us (including myself) could only dream of owning. I think a DI is a great tool, I use my studio a lot for just doing quick demos and songwriting so sometimes its easier to sit at the computer and plug in directly and be done with it. Other times I'm tracking a full band and usually turn to a DI for capturing the sound I'm after. If your trying to put together a well rounded studio I would recommend investing in a decent DI. In fact, I don't remember the website but do a search here on the message board regarding a recent post about DIs that contained a link to the jensen site that contains some info on building a DI with one of their transformers. Its a fairly simple thing to build and can be done for around $100.

insta-fame
audio school graduate

Post by insta-fame » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:12 pm

i'll second the jensen transformer di. i made two a year ago and they sound great for a passive box. di's in general are just another flavor. sometimes the way a bass or keyboard sounds will just not sit right in the mix through whatever amps one has available. sometimes the right di box will supply a tone that works better.

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:35 am

Well, imagine trading in one of your studio monitors for a speaker that only has a 12" woofer; that dull woofy tone - that's what most amps have. This is a significant thing - woofer-only sound is what comes out of most amps.

That is the sound (eq) your tone goes through - besides the amp modifying it too. You are losing some sparkling highs. I can't imagine some things - (string samples, drum machines) without at least trying a D.I. It is a different sound, and I often LOVE bass through an amp, but the DI tone is equally cool. Having both is a mix pleasure...

Different DI's sound different - quality of parts and/or design. Like mics - sometimes the cheap ones work well. Sometimes not.
Relax and float downstream...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:55 am

are the high end mic pres from like API and what not that have DI inputs on the front really good? or would getting a dedicated DI box be even better?

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:12 am

are the high end mic pres from like API and what not that have DI inputs on the front really good? or would getting a dedicated DI box be even better?

Plugging a bass into the front of a UA 610 can be a thing of sonic beauty. We have a Hamptone pre as well, with both instrument and line level inputs that sounds great as a DI. Using a nice pre as DI takes one more pre option off the table for you during tracking though. Not a big deal if you got a lotta nice pre's, big trouble if you only have one super good one to track through. Maybe the preamp route is a good way for you to start using direct injection Blu. That way you can get some ideas about what a DI signal can add without shelling out some extra dough for a dedicated DI. Save some of your money to get that M56 running...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:18 am

yea and well i also figure that if you're going to spend that kind of money on something, why not just get ANOTHER nice pre to add to your collection? i could have one pre and one DI box, or just two nice pres, maybe different kinds for different flavors, and that sounds like a much better idea.

only about $200 remaining to pay! :D

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:21 am

I love using DI's.

I use a really nice one for the bass, and sometimes guitar (to take the clean signal along side the amp sound.

Using a DI always gives a cool presence, because it makes the playback device the first place that the sound hits the air.

Sometimes that is just what you need for bass, or keys, or even guitar.

I have used red boxes for guitar a bunch, because you get the sound of the tubes in the head and the whole chain EXCEPT the speakers. Nice and up front.

I like making sounds that sit way forward. Like jumping out of the speakers.

If I was in your situation, I would just get a pair of decent passive DI's, and start experimenting with them. I stil use passive DI's sometimes for certain things.

It is not SO much the box itself, but what the engineer chooses to put after it (pre/comp/other stuff).

Have fun with it!

(i think I have an old DOD passive I could send you...)