Behringer DI box

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
magritte
re-cappin' neve

Behringer DI box

Post by magritte » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:33 pm

Anyone have one? If so, is it any good for the price?

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Re: Behringer DI box

Post by magritte » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:04 pm

bump

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:29 pm

yep. i have a "ultra-DI" or "DI100" .. its active, silver, claims a perfectly flat frequency response...

it sounds just like any other direct box, really... it works? i have trouble distinguishing a "good" direct tone from a "bad" one.. most sound kinda dull to me. works well for bass i suppose.

mike

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:11 pm

diymike wrote:yep. i have a "ultra-DI" or "DI100" .. its active, silver, claims a perfectly flat frequency response...

it sounds just like any other direct box, really... it works? i have trouble distinguishing a "good" direct tone from a "bad" one.. most sound kinda dull to me. works well for bass i suppose.

mike
thanks.

anyone else?

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:30 pm

Don't expect anything. It'll bring you up to a reasonable level when recording a bass guitar, and it'll do utility functions. The thing with DIs I've found is that, until you hit the $500 price range gear, you don't really hear anything special.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:50 pm

I have Behringer DI box with the "vitural cab". If you record a guitar track by direct by itself it sounds to trebly and thin. Usually I mic the cabnet with a sm57 and run it direct at the sametime and the results are really good. The direct give a nice crispness while the mic and some thickness to it. Bass guitar sounds good with it aslong as it's not distorted bass then it shounds like shit.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:54 am

I have an Ultra-G, the DI with the 4x12 emulation. I think that for $30 you can't go wrong with these boxes. It does sound pretty much the same as any other budget DI, except with the cab simulator it gets a bit noisy, but that's not all bad.
I think it's really quite nice for the price.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:46 am

They are "louder" than my Countryman Type 85's (a plus in some situations), but they are also noisier.
I kinda like them on acoustic instruments with crappy transducers. In fact, with one of these DI's, I have actually gotten a useable sound from a dreadnought with a Dean Markley Pro-Mag!
Eh, for $29, why not have a couple of extra DI's around?

whoa...maybe that's the Ultra-Double-Secret Behringer Marketing Plan! "Sure it's unremarkable - but it's sooo cheap! Why not buy two!"

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron