Alley Farfisa

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
uqbar
steve albini likes it

Alley Farfisa

Post by uqbar » Wed May 07, 2003 9:11 am

Ok, so I posted this on the old board and don't know if anyone responded.

Anyone have a Farfisa compact organ? I found one in the alley and am trying to figure out if it works. I do know it is missing it's fuse and fuse holder - if anyone can describe this part I'd appreciate it!

Any tips on restoration would be cool too!

thanks
mark

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Alley Farfisa

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 12:53 pm

I have a grey compact deluxe which has a fuse rating of 0.5 amps. It has a screw in fuse cap, which you need a screwdriver to access. Personally, I'd just order a whole new holder from mouser and drill a hoel and stick it in, lot easier than trying to locate a cap with a specific thread.

If the thing doesnt work, do yourself a favor and put it back in the alley. there is no bigger pain in thhe ass to fix than a farfisa. It doesnt matter how cool it might be when it works, they are just loathsome to work on.

dave

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Wed May 07, 2003 1:01 pm

Well if it doesn't work I might gut it and turn it into something else - I used to build synths as a kid, so it might be a cool case for one of my old projects.

But it definately looks like a beast - I took it apart last night to see the innards - yikes!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 1:06 pm

if yours was built the same time mine was, you should really replace all the blue EE caps in there. whatever stock of caps they had in italy at the time my organ and several of my wahs were built, were really shitty and they've all dried out. Unfortunately, there are about a billion of those caps in there.

so much work for such a cheesy sound...

dave

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed May 07, 2003 1:42 pm

Farfisas....

Man.....I have one. It worked perfectly when I got it. I was so proud of my weird old organ....you know.....the Farfisa.....that I decided to clean it up nice.

It didnt stop there....I took the top off and began cleaning some of the electronics with electronic cleaner and put it all back together. Suddenly I ended up with a Farfisa that made different sounds at each octave set.

Still get it working right.....they sure are cool though. I'd like to get it fixed by someone in the know but I'm sure I could find 6 that worked well for the price. I want to get one of those cool Nord keyboards that emulate all the old keyboards....those things sound great!

heylow

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 07, 2003 1:51 pm

heylow wrote:I want to get one of those cool Nord keyboards that emulate all the old keyboards....those things sound great!
The Nord Electro? Yeah, those things look really awesome. I have a Nord Modular and that thing is amazing. I only understand about 13.28347% of how to program it, though.

-mark

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed May 07, 2003 1:54 pm

YEAH! The Electro! I couldnt think of the name. Those things are cool. BUY ME ONE!!!! :shock:

Spoon's old keys player had one a couple of tours ago.....sounded great.

heylow

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 07, 2003 2:17 pm

haha uqbar... your avatar... so sweet...

what's it from?

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Wed May 07, 2003 3:03 pm

It's a Marvel Comic book character. I was looking for an image and ran into it, and thought it was too perfect. He's called "PIP THE TROLL", and the art is by Rich Bellacera.

If you want to find a comix character look here - he's cool with re-use:
http://users.cwnet.com/xephyr/MICROS/Ri ... eroes.html