Do y'all run outboard pre straight to recorder?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tsw
steve albini likes it

Do y'all run outboard pre straight to recorder?

Post by tsw » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:44 pm

I've always wondered. It seems to me that if you've got a good outboard pre, you'd want to skip the damn console altogether and run your signal straight into your recorder of choice. I guess my question is, if you run through a an outboard pre and then through your console, how do you know which pre is giving you your sound? If you have them both turned up halfway, is the sound half that of the outboard pre and half that of the console pre?

Weird question, but what can I say. I'm curious.

Andy

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Do y'all run outboard pre straight to recorder?

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:48 pm

I've always wondered. It seems to me that if you've got a good outboard pre, you'd want to skip the damn console altogether and run your signal straight into your recorder of choice.

Youbetcha, that's the way to do it. You lose the ability to ride faders, but I think most people will agree that the sonic benefits outweigh that minor inconvenience.
I guess my question is, if you run through a an outboard pre and then through your console, how do you know which pre is giving you your sound?
Well, you wouldn't be using the console pres because you'd patch the LINE out of your mic pre to the LINE in of your console. Most consoles are set up so that whatever feeds the LINE in is either automatically sent to the TAPE SEND or switchable into that signal path. You'd likely get a lot of distortion if you patched a LINE level signal into your mic pre. In some cases you could even damage your mic pre or your meters depending on how extrme your gain swing is. But again, you'd only really want to do this if you needed to ride faders to tape - like maybe on an erratic vocal that you just couldn't tame with compression without adding too many artifacts, but generally with outboard mic pres, I like to pretend I'm Ron Popeel - I set it and forget it.

Make sense?

Good luck

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:51 pm

I also go straight from the pre to the recorder. I'm a firm believer in the shortest, cleanest signal possible (in most cases).

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:00 pm

another benefit is it forces you to monitor post any recorder coloration. a disadvantage is you lose some monitoring options - you can't send to a headphone mix pre-recorder this way, and have to monitor through the return section. when doing overdubs this is a PITA having to throw it back into input to hear what they're trying to tell you. helps to throw up a separate TB mic for this.

or, that's my retarded way of dealing with things.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:25 pm

yep we keep it skraight here. We're not console-based, however. Most DAW based systems that I see are done like this. . .

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:30 pm

yea, i'm a really big fan of running outboard pres directly to tape. it sounds nice and clean

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:48 pm

xonlocust wrote:another benefit is it forces you to monitor post any recorder coloration. a disadvantage is you lose some monitoring options - you can't send to a headphone mix pre-recorder this way, and have to monitor through the return section. when doing overdubs this is a PITA having to throw it back into input to hear what they're trying to tell you. helps to throw up a separate TB mic for this.

or, that's my retarded way of dealing with things.
I have the outputs of my pres hooked up my patchbay to split the signal into 2 different ones on the front of the patchbay. That way I can send the output of the pre straight into my converters and if I want I can then take the other output and patch it into my mixer and send that out to a headphone mix or take a listen to it against the signal being outputted through my converters. Granted this is a home studio and I'm pretty much all self taught so I don't know if this is a dumb way to do it but it works for me.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:54 pm

another benefit is it forces you to monitor post any recorder coloration.
Huh? Not if you monitor input...
a disadvantage is you lose some monitoring options - you can't send to a headphone mix pre-recorder this way,

Technically, yes, but I don't think that's such a BIG DEAL. Monitoring sync for example is just listening to what's coming back from the recorder's input and will add very little color to the signal besideswhich, who cares? The talent just needs to be able to hear what's going on so they can sing and play along!
and have to monitor through the return section. when doing overdubs this is a PITA having to throw it back into input to hear what they're trying to tell you. helps to throw up a separate TB mic for this.
Sure, but MOST guys I know monitor input while tracking and understand that during they need a TB mic in the room for the talent. That's just good recording etiquette - it lets the talent know that you've got your shit together and are interested in hearing what they have to say! Of course, I always forget to mute TB before I do a take and I'm like "why the fuck does it sound so shitty?" DUH!

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:40 pm

Yes sometimes, but i like to use the desk as well.

Al

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:46 pm

If I'm going to tape, I always come straight out of the pres into the tape machine. If I'm using digital, I usually go through the console for the A/D (since I don't any external A/Ds).

-mark

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:52 pm

I agree that the shortest possible route to the recorder is best, but there are times when I have to go through the console. Sometimes I really want to push some of my pres, like Neves or API types, to get a really aggressive sound. Well, it's just too much for the input of the recorder. It's nice to be able to push it there and then have the faders of the console to push down a bit. Again, we're talking about recording, so there's always plenty of excuses to break the rules.
later,
m

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:09 pm

Again, we're talking about recording, so there's always plenty of excuses to break the rules.

How beautifully stated!

CC
PP
-Hunter S. Thompson

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:04 pm

pres straight to tape.

monitor from the tape deck.

always....

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:20 pm

If the console is nice, it can work well to use a fader, If not, I use a compressor as a fader after the pre, not for compression, just for the output knob...

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:56 pm

I use my 160A's for the same purpose. I don't always need a compressor but I like the extra gainstage after the mic pre for more control.

Mostly I just go straight to my RADAR II from my pres and it sounds pretty!
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas