Outboard gear with a DAW.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
roo the whirl
audio school

Outboard gear with a DAW.

Post by roo the whirl » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:53 pm

now, i know there are plug ins with cubase, and i can't say that i have had enough time to mess with all of them or get the most out of them, but i do have some outboard gear that i would like to use also. my setup is an aardvark q10 direct pro plugged right into my computer with no serperate mixer, just the software mixer that comes with the q10 and cubase sx.

so, the question is - and sorry if this has been covered in another topic, can i send the dry tracks that have already been recorded in cubase, into an outboard piece of gear for processing and re send the processed track back into cubase. i'm kind of in experienced, so sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, but i was just wondering if the inserts on the q10 can only allow you to record wet signals. thanks for any help.

-ryan

ctmsound
george martin

Re: Outboard gear with a DAW.

Post by ctmsound » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:20 am

sure, you could, but I imagine you run the risk of getting artifacts, or clips and such by sampling twice. Unless of course, the outboard gear you have has AES I/O.

I've always had the rule that once in digital, stay in digital, but that seems to be changing these days. I'm sure someone else with experience on this can offer some advice.

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:37 am

there are several ways to do this one would be to asign the track you want to process to an out channel of the Q 10 route it through your hardware unit to an input and record it as another track

The prefered method would be to get a decent mixing console and plug the outs from the Q 10 into the inserts on the channels on the mixer, this will open a world of Bussing and routing possibilitys as well as allow you to mix outside the box, Walla!!!, all you outboard stuff becomes useable and you can mixdown out of the console to whatever you prefered medium might be
"tune that thing son"

roo the whirl
audio school

Post by roo the whirl » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:11 am

thanks. that's awesome, i didn't think something like this would work. i will look into getting a seperate mixer. the mackie vlz 16 pro looks promising. any reccomendations?

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:20 am

The Mackie's are ok, but if you don't mind used, look for something like a Soundcraft 200 series board. It's got decent mic pres and the eq is very useful. I've been seeing 16 channel boards go for around $500-600.
later,
m

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:38 am

when my pc daw is repaired, i am looking forward to sending tracks to my allen +heath, just to get my hands on some faders and work with real-time mixing, gain riding etc....
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:39 pm

I've done this in DP3, with no mixing board. Just set the tracks you want processed to output from certain outs of your interface (or just mute the tracks you don't want to send and use the normal outputs), plug those outs into your analog processing box, and the outs of the processor into a pair of ins on the interface and record to new tracks in the DAW. Then you gotta nudge the new tracks back to compensate for latency (make the peaks line up in the dry and wet tracks) and blend to taste with the dry tracks. I do that all the time with my RNC.

As for staying digital being better, I hear where you're coming from, but if there are effects that you can only get in analog, and you've got decent sounding converters, the plusses can outweigh the minuses.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:33 pm

jajjguy wrote:I've done this in DP3, with no mixing board. Just set the tracks you want processed to output from certain outs of your interface (or just mute the tracks you don't want to send and use the normal outputs), plug those outs into your analog processing box, and the outs of the processor into a pair of ins on the interface and record to new tracks in the DAW. Then you gotta nudge the new tracks back to compensate for latency (make the peaks line up in the dry and wet tracks) and blend to taste with the dry tracks. I do that all the time with my RNC.

As for staying digital being better, I hear where you're coming from, but if there are effects that you can only get in analog, and you've got decent sounding converters, the plusses can outweigh the minuses.

is there a way for the program to compensate for the latency?
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:27 pm

Nope, not in DP, as far as I know. But it's real easy to line them up manually, visually. It just means you HAVE to record to new tracks so you can adjust, you cannot just use it as an insert and mix in real time.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:29 am

you should rock a mixer and a tape 2-trk or realtime CD burner..less of a headache and better sounds!!

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:35 am

Sky, you might (or might not) be right about it sounding better your way, but I don't agree with the less headache part. I think the flexibility and peace of mind of working with all the dry&wet tracks in the DAW is a big plus, and a big burden lifted. The burden of getting the mix right in one realtime shot.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:57 am

I have put a nice stereo compressor across a drum subgroup, so the latency doesnt matter as much. If you do this across groups it can work. Of course it can work on individual tracks, if you slip them forward a bit to compensate for your systems latency.

IMO, the trip out of the box and back in, if run through a good piece of gear, is worth it.

It is true that a console and outboard gear is preferable, but if your budget doesnt allow for that....