question about Glyn Johns drum micing method

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

question about Glyn Johns drum micing method

Post by Everybody's X » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:06 pm

Ok looking at this diagram from danalexanderaudio.com, it shows the HH and ride on the same side of the kit. This micing method looks pretty interesting but I have never seen a drummer set up like this. It's always HH on one side and ride on the other. I know for a fact that I will never get my drummer to change his setup, so will this work if the cymbals arent arranged in this manner?

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: question about Glyn Johns drum micing method

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:33 pm

The G.J. method will totally work without the ride and hat on the same side. I too have never seen a drum kit set up like that. I usually put the mic that is in front of the kit (in the picture) actually above the kit. I set this mic up almost like a mono overhead and play with the distance from the snare. Once I get it where I like it, I move the OH on the floor tom side around until it's in phase with the first OH mic. In a good room, with a good kit played by a good drummer, this micing method can be the cat's pajamas.

Shawn

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:47 pm

I just picked up two of the Oktava 319's. anyone ever use them with this technique?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:51 pm

I wouldnt take too much worry to the literal nature of that diagram, its not a map to the the location of the arc of the covenant... Of far more concern is not the location of the ride but the hihat behind the snare. who in the fuck puts their hihats there? No drummer I have ever seen, ever. The whole point of minimal micing is balance which means you have to listen so the picture dont matter much anyway by the time you are done.

recording is easy, I promise, it is. set up mics, record, its easy.

dave

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:38 am

I think Dan might have been trying to confuse everyone into thinking that this mic setup only works on Simon Phillips and Carter Beauford. (They both set up this way. Billy Cobham might, too. I can't remember.) Just whatever you do, don't try this setup if the drummer uses Ludwigs. It'll blow up your mics.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:06 am

This is my favorite method of all time - I never liked close miking anyway. Btw, it sounds excellent with ribbon mics - specifically coles or some nice 77s, but even the oktavas sound great on this.
For more spice, I prefer class A pres on this - since the circuits open the whole time, the transients are sharper.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:52 am

I think I'm going to close mic them too, just for shits and grins. That way I can have more options open to me at mixdown. I like some big stupid Phil Collins toms on occasion, but it would be sweet if I throw them up and like this setup, it looks pretty easy.

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:10 am

can someone clarify a bit.
mics 1 and 3 are up high both pointing in ?

mic 4 is pretty obvious somewhere out front.

mic 2 is this in a mono oh position, or is it down by the drummers knee?

thanks
its on like donkey kong!!!!

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:21 am

here you go

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm

that should clear things up

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:22 am

this is the way i've always done it. don't worry about the cymbals. it gives you the most natural stereo image ever. the snare is so natural. it works with all kinds of mics. I even tried it with 57's it was great. no cymbal bashing drummers though. compression is encouraged.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:30 am

no cymbal bashing drummers though
that was my next question, if it can handle my pseudo-metal.www.everybodysx.com
I usually record in a 20x25 room with 20' cielings, close mic everything and have 2 OH's about 7' over the kit directly behind the snare and literally "over the drummers head" sitting in a 110 degree angle. Not that I have a clue what I'm doing. It is just the only way I've ever set up OH's so this looks intriguing, but should I disregard if my drummer is playing big giant butt-rock?
And didn't Moon beat the shit out of his cymbals?
Thanks for the responses everyone BTW

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:27 am

prince-

mic 1, 3, 4 and 2 are pretty much in the spot where they sound the best on the kit.

dave

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:30 am

I recorded a punkish band where the drummer had his hi-hat, ride, and main crash all on the right side. Plus his rack tom. Put up my overheads like regular, and damn, was that stereo image off balance. I ended up throwing a LDC way above his head, squashing it, and panning it to the right to bring some of that back into the center. Kinda muddies up the stereo image, though.

Ah well. Some bands are just meant for stage.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:17 pm

why can't real drumsets look like this?

hehe.. i've never really thought of having the ride cymbal on the left side of the kit (as a right handed drummer)... nothing wrong with that, just seems like it'd be unnatural i do suppose (unless of course you're totally used to it). hmm.

i've been meaning to try this technique out forever, several people have mentioned how easy it is... but i guess i like inventing my own techniques. the crazier and more dangerous the better.

ape32
gettin' sounds

Post by ape32 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:35 pm

I use this right now for my band's live practice recording setup. It has disadvantages regarding bleed in that application (my room is not great) but I really like it. I'm exited to try it in the context of an iso/overdub recording. To me the sound I get has has a really natural and somewhat nostalgic nature.