Wilco's free EP from their site...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Wilco's free EP from their site...

Post by XXGABEXX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:16 am

I'm so far behind the times that it was only recently I was clued in to the fact that they had a free EP on their site. I tried clicking on the link this morning and the link doesn't link. The picture I'm supposed to click on is just that... a picture. There's a link to the EP right on their main page, so I'd imagine it hasn't been taken down. Has anyone else run into this dead end? Is it just me?

-GABE

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Wilco's free EP from their site...

Post by wing » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:22 am

nope, just you... i just went and tried it. it's supposed to open up a player, then you can click to download the free ep again, and it brings you to this page:

http://wilcoworld.net/ep/ep_key.html

anyone know what the key is? ;)

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:28 am

the key is the number on the back of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Not to be a jerk, but if you care enough to download the free ep (which is FANTASTIC! A Magazine Called Sunset is one of my all-time favorite Wilco tunes) you should care enough to buy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

I think it's a great idea. BUY our totally worthy CD and we will give you a FREE EP.

Roger

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:39 am

I own Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I couldn't even get to the part to use my key.

Thanks Wing-dawg.

-GABE

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:48 am

XXGABEXX wrote:I own Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I couldn't even get to the part to use my key.
So with Wing's link, you got in?

It's a great EP. The alternate version of Kamera is great too. Those of you who have seen the documentary might remember that it opens with them tracking a rockin' version of Kamera. That's either the version on the EP or a similar take.

Slightly OT, there is a Tweedy song either called Laminated Cat or Not for the Season, depending on where you find it. It's a beautiful song any way you slice it. My cousin came out to the studio a few months back and did a bunch of acoustic covers and did the most beautiful version of that song.

Roger

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:10 am

Yea, with that link my key got me right in.

I can only assume it's a browser thing that was keeping me out. But I take full responsibility for that since I use Safari for my browser.

-GABE

televator
alignin' 24-trk

Post by televator » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:55 am

so, i don't know how this happened, but i got curious and went to the wilco site. i clicked to listen to the free stream (i'm assuming free, because it never asked for a key). i started clicking around the player (which was really cool looking) and the next thing i know i'm on a web page congratulating me, and giving the links to all the mp3 files. i don't own YHF, but don't hate me... i seriously didn't "hack" or anything. i was never even asked for the silly key. was this a fluke, or is it really that loosely guarded?

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:32 am

"Laminated Cats" is from Loose Fur the project with Jeff Tweedy, Jim O'Rourke, and Glen Kotche. Pretty good overall, although that song is definetely my fav.

i never heard about the EP either, gonna have to download it when i get home.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:34 am

Ah, just go with it, no need to feel guilty. I'm sure Jeff Tweedy wouldn't go Metalicca on your ass, he seems far too cool.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

todd
pushin' record

Post by todd » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:34 am

was this a fluke, or is it really that loosely guarded?
it is really loosely guarded. if you have ever worked in music retail, it's a safe assumption that the 5 digit # they are referring to is either part of the SKU, the catalog # or both...you should still pick up yankee foxtrot hotel though...

thanks,
todd

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:42 am

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:09 am

It is a cool EP. I like that version of Kamera quite a bit. I was watching "I am trying to break your heart" last night (someone finally returned my DVD) and was reminded just how cool it is--is that big distorto guitar really Jay Bennett's Gibson through an amp? I love the sound of distorted acoustic guitar.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:15 am

dwlb wrote:It is a cool EP. I like that version of Kamera quite a bit. I was watching "I am trying to break your heart" last night (someone finally returned my DVD) and was reminded just how cool it is--is that big distorto guitar really Jay Bennett's Gibson through an amp? I love the sound of distorted acoustic guitar.
I just bought it last week. I think that sound is Bennett's acoustic, maybe direct and overdriven. Noticed Tweedy is playing acoustic on that take as well as the keyboard/guitar dude playing a Tele.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:01 am

A magazine called Sunset. Now that is a beautiful song. I love the strings!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:13 pm

Since it was mentioned, anbody, like me, prefer the Loose Fur project to YHF ?

I note that being there is my favorite Wilco recording.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.