By pass the board?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Allcalm
pluggin' in mics

By pass the board?

Post by Allcalm » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:51 pm

I've been considering bypassing my board (Audioarts Wheatstone) and getting a bunch more pre's and going strait into my 16 track 1" Tape Machine. Anybody do that around here? I'm thinking of getting

8 (6-Channels of OSA, 2-Brent Averill API) in a lunchbox.
2 Brent A. 1272
2 Great River 12NV-ME

And just return this from the tape machine to the board to mix. I dont really EQ much to tape, I can strap a compression in series if need be. What am I forgetting?
any thoughts?
-Z

provide86
alignin' 24-trk

Re: By pass the board?

Post by provide86 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:54 pm

Phil Elvrum from the Microphones does exactly what you've described here and I don't know anyone else who has records that sound like his. The less stuff your sound goes through, the better.
the only war that counts is the war against the imagination

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Re: By pass the board?

Post by meblumen » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:32 pm

Allcalm wrote:I've been considering bypassing my board (Audioarts Wheatstone) and getting a bunch more pre's and going strait into my 16 track 1" Tape Machine. Anybody do that around here? I'm thinking of getting

8 (6-Channels of OSA, 2-Brent Averill API) in a lunchbox.
2 Brent A. 1272
2 Great River 12NV-ME

And just return this from the tape machine to the board to mix. I dont really EQ much to tape, I can strap a compression in series if need be. What am I forgetting?
any thoughts?
-Z
Thats pretty much what I do except I work in the digital realm and run my pres right into my converters. I then either mix in the box for demos or bring my stuff over to a buddy of mine who has a decent board and we mix it there.
While a bit of the subject, I think when your starting out and strapped for cash its a great way to go. Nice consoles are expensive and you can get some really nice pres for a lot less than a nice mixer and when you have the cash to throw down on a board the pres will still be very handy. I'm not familiar with the Wheatstone so I don't know how nice of a board it is but for your purposes like provide86 said, often times running your signal through as few things as possible is quite beneficial. There are some convienances you forfeit such as being able to eq to tape but thats something I also rarely do. Anyways, I would try it, you'll probably get some great results.

As for the pres your considering getting, I've never used the Brent A. 1272s so I can't comment on them but I think the API stuff and the Great River unit are fantastic stuff. I also really love my syteks and still can't believe it was only $800 for 4 channels.