Mitch Easter in California (me on drums!)

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:37 pm

You should have a good time in Sacramento. I know the guys from Ghosts of California. I used to work in a studio with the bass player, and helped them record their EP. They're great guys and a really good band.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:48 am

Cool. I think we got hooked up with them through John B. Our first gig in Sacramento fell through, but we managed to get that worked out. Fox and Goose looks like a pretty cool place.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:13 pm

Had rehearsal today. In addition to new stuff, we'll be doing tunes from Cypress, Afoot, and Big Plans For Everybdy. I wish we were doing "Horizon," but we're not. (I guess I'll just have to dig on the Don Dixon version.)

We'll also be hauling our own Shure Vocal Master as a PA. Should be pretty great.

For anyone who's seen on-line comments about the CD release party last weekend we will not be playing "Big Bottom," much to my chagrin.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Getting on a plane to San Fran tomorrow. Hope some of you can make it out!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Josiah LE
audio school graduate

While you are in town

Post by Josiah LE » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Come by Silverlake Lounge 4/04. Aaron Espinoza from Earlimart and Jason Lytle from Grandaddy are playing along with my band... Light FM. Should be fun!

xonlocust
tinnitus

Re: While you are in town

Post by xonlocust » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:10 am

Josiah LE wrote:Come by Silverlake Lounge 4/04. Aaron Espinoza from Earlimart and Jason Lytle from Grandaddy are playing along with my band... Light FM. Should be fun!
whoah, when did you guys leave chicago for LA?

Josiah LE
audio school graduate

Post by Josiah LE » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 am

I've been out here for a year and a half and loving it. Glad to see Bang Bang going strong! Best, Josiah
http://www.myspace.com/lightfm

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Josiah LE wrote:I've been out here for a year and a half and loving it. Glad to see Bang Bang going strong! Best, Josiah
http://www.myspace.com/lightfm
awesome - if you're free, we'll be at safari sams apr 25, come have a beer w/us! ppl, check out light FM - they're great.

mjau
speech impediment

Re: While you are in town

Post by mjau » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Josiah LE wrote:Come by Silverlake Lounge 4/04. Aaron Espinoza from Earlimart and Jason Lytle from Grandaddy are playing along with my band... Light FM. Should be fun!
Wow - that's some great accompaniment. Two of my favorite musicians.

fireproof
pushin' record

mitch gig in LA

Post by fireproof » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:14 am

I saw Mitch last night in La and it was amazing.
Chris is an amazing drummer and it was the best drumming I have ever heard on the lets active tunes live. I saw them a bunch of times starting in 84 on the REM reckoning tour.
Mitch is such a fantastic guitar player and his sound was amazing
he was playing thru a carr 33 watt little combo that sounded way bigger then it looked.
Shalini was kick ass on bass and her back up vocals were great!
I did not get a chance to hear the new album before the show but the new songs were super rocking and catchy and classic Mitch.

I have not seen mitch play in so long and it was a special night for me.
I remember being in high school and loving afoot and cypress.
I got to work with mitch in 91 at the drive in coproducing a powerpop band called The Wishniaks and it was such a great and eye opening experience.
Mitch was so enthusiastic but relaxed too and got sounds and the vibe going with such ease..He made us all feel good right away...
I must admit he was a major inspiration to me as a producer...that experience led me to realize you just have to be yourself make people feel good and throw yourself into every project 150% and of course record guitars really fucking loud!!!

Adam

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:26 pm

I can't wait to hear stories of the tour!

ClownMonkey
pluggin' in mics

Post by ClownMonkey » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:11 am

drumsound wrote:I can't wait to hear stories of the tour!
Agreed. Fess up.
But seriously Easter is such a legend.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Hey guys,

I'm back and sort of getting caught-up on sleep.

Very kind words, Adam. I'm glad you were at the show. It was good to see you again. Seems like LA is agreeing with you.

I think all the shows went reasonably well. Amoeba records is one of the most insane record stores I've ever seen. Both San Fran and LA were crazy. I spent WAY too much money in those stores (even with the gift certificates they gave us). Everyone involved in the SF instore was really nice and efficient. There should be footage of the show and an interview with Mitch on their website within a few days.

The Rickshaw Stop was a fun club to play. The sound guy (Waldo) was totally helpful and did a really excellent job. The other bands sounded good from out front that night and I'm told that we had the same sort of excellent sound. The bar tender was a little weird and it wasn't the most musician-friendly joint I've ever played, but at least the technical stuff was good. Shalini broke a bass string after the second or third song and for the first time ever, put brand new strings on her bass the next day. The new strings seemed to give her amp about 200 extra watts, according to Mitch.

On Friday, we drove to Sacramento and stopped in at The Hangar and saw the official TapeOp publishing office. John B. and crew have a really cool, funky place out there. Lots of great gear and fun instruments piled all over the studio. Looked like an organ player's dream. And the Ghosts Of California are a totally excellent band.

The Fox & Goose was a cool place. High-ceilinged British pub. We may have been the loudest band to play there in some time, but the crowd seemed to dig it. After a really nasty grounding/mic shock incident right before we played (which was fixed by the trusty sound guy), we managed to blast through our set.

The Silverlake Lounge in LA was the weirdest club of all. I guess late at night on weekends, it does indeed become a Mexican tranny hangout. The club was super-adamant about having us go on at 8PM. All my friends in LA were scrambling to get there by 8. There was a bunch of goofy shit that went down while we were loading in and the club really didn't seem to have it together. The owner didn't really seem all that interested in having music there. The funniest thing about it to me was that after we played and the disco lights came on, the place totally emptied out. Like, it was the lamest possible Mexican tranny bar in existence. All these people in there hanging out and buying drinks just disappeared. No crowd, just maybe five or six dudes. So, we played and when we finished people were sheering for an encore, but the louder they cheered the louder the club turned up their music. The set went well and again, it seemed like there was a really competent sound guy there. (I think his name was Eric.)

Spent Sunday afternoon checking out guitar stores in Hollywood and trekked down to Amoeba to spend more money. We also did a sentimental drive around the block to see the Capitol Records building and Mitch talked about some sessions he'd done there. Then we went to Santa Monica where the pier was totally crowded. That night, we went to see my buddy Jeff Babko play at the Baked Potato.

All in all, it was a pretty cool trip.

That little Carr amp of Mitch's is a brand new model called the Mercury. It has a switch for 7 watts or 33 watts. I think his may be the first production model.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:28 pm

By the way, it looks like some people have posted a few songs from some of the shows on You Tube. The footage from the Rickshaw Stop is pretty good ("Time Warping"). Check out the 8-foot by 8-foot banner that Mitch had made.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ClownMonkey
pluggin' in mics

welcome back

Post by ClownMonkey » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:12 pm

to the QC Chris. Drat I didn't need to spend any time on YouTube tomorrow, oh well. :P