Boston Area Studios

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cgarges
zen recordist

Boston Area Studios

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 am

Hey guys,

I might have a project to do in Boston in July and I need to find a studio for it. Requirements are specific:

A number of isolation booths with good eye contact.
Analog console and decent mic and input equipment selection.
Decent (prefrably full-sized) grand piano.
The space does not need to be especially big or anything, but I do need to know what I'm hearing in the control room.
Anywhere with at least a few good ribbon mics (Coles, RCA, AEA, etc.) would be ideal. So would somewhere with passive monitors.

Wellspring is looking like a pretty big contender. I've been there and I like the vibe. It has all the requirements, including a reasonable freelancer rate. They also have RADAR systems there, which is a big plus for me. Also considering Q Division, for obvious reasons.

Anyone have anywhere else I should investigate?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:54 pm

You could also check out Longview Farms in Marlborough. They are a pretty insular bunch, not sure if they're letting in a lot of freelance stuff right now or what. I've never been to Wellspring, and of course I'm very partial to Q Division. Still, always good to have options.
Alex C. McKenzie

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks, Alex. I couldn't really find contact information for Longview. Seems like maybe it's a private sort of place. Seems like there's a lot of those in Boston, actually.

Right now, Q Division and Wellspring are looking like the top contenders. Wellspring's probably better equipped to handle the session, but it would not suck to do it at Q Division, with the exception of the potential bill.

Someone mentioned The Bridge to me and although I don't really know much about it, the idea of recording in the old Fort Apache space has a certain cool factor to it if the current studio is happening and has what we need.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JeffT
ass engineer

Post by JeffT » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:25 am

hey Chris if you still want to check out Longview I can track down there contact info for you. I use to do a lot of work with them back in the day (6 yrs ago)

Also u can still try ST, but I just remembered that they switched their analog console in the large room over to an ICON about a year ago... I'm sure you would be able to patch into it from one of the other rooms but that would screw up you sight line big time..
Jeff Thompson

cbastudioconsultants
Soundtrack NY
Prime Cuts Editing NYC

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 pm

i would suggest looking into woolly mammoth in waltham.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like we're doing it at Wellspring. They got back to us in a timely manner, provided us with all the information we needed, have a great freelance engineer rate, and are already familiar with the artist on the session. They've got everything we need to do what we need to do, so it seemed like the logical choice.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC