Getting work in audio production - any ideas?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

radionowhere
gimme a little kick & snare

Getting work in audio production - any ideas?

Post by radionowhere » Tue May 09, 2006 6:35 pm

Hi Everybody:

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this; hopefully there will be some people here who know what's up.

Just like what I'm guessing is a good percentage of the other people on this board, I'm a songwriter/musician who's gotten more and more into recording just through tracking my own stuff. I've amassed a fair collection of project studio-level gear, and in the last year I've produced a few projects for other local (S.F. Bay) artists.

I've discovered that I really like all the recording, programming, mixing and dealing with people involved in this, and I've started to consider investing more time and energy into making a career of it. Before I take any big leaps in this direction, however, I'd like to get a little more information about the field, starting with: is it even possible to make any money here?

Through reading Tape Op and various other publications over the years, I get the impression that audio production is about as financially rewarding as being an independent singer/songwriter, which is to say: not very. Can anyone out there speak to this impression and weigh in on whether there's a living to be made here?

Aside from writing and singing good pop/rock songs, and playing guitar on them, I'd say my main skills are :

1) creative arranging and programming (I usually work in Logic, and I'm an Apple certified pro in that app),
2) working with other musicians,
3) mixing, and
4) tracking, in that order.

Are there any professional niches for that kind of person that I might be overlooking? What additional training might be best to sign up for next?

I know that the old school big studio business is on life support and that pretty much everything associated with the music biz is in flux, so I'm not really looking to go assist at the Record Plant or anything like that. Just looking for some more general information about opportunities for someone with my interests and skills from others out there who are doing it.

Thanks very much! ~ MB

fattyfabulous
audio school

Post by fattyfabulous » Wed May 24, 2006 3:30 pm

I don't really know what's up but I think I'm in almost the same position you are. I have a decent project studio and I've been doing a lot of work with artists in my area. I've even come close to paying all of my bills through my studio. I just can't get a constant supply of clients... especially serious ones. I've gained a good reputation in my small city as an engineer, but I can't find a job at any of the "profesional" studios here. I don't have any official education in the field but I feel like my portfolio can speak for itself. Apparently not. But I don't know if a degree would help me. My brother went to a great school for this field and got an associates and moved to the Philly area with hopes of finding a recording job. I feel he's far more talented than I am AND he has the education, yet he still can't find a job. I guess it's just hard. Like you said the big studio biz is shrinking and there's a lot of engineers out there. I don't mean to be a downer, but when I read your post it just sounded like it came out of my brain... I share in your frustration. I don't know if it's worth anything but here's my advice: keep doing what you love and stay on the lookout for opportunities. Oh... and keep your head up. It's been some years now that I've wanted a job recording but I feel if I keep trying and never give up one day a door will open and I'll finally have a career doing what I want to do. Until then I'll just work my shit job and work on my "career" on the side. Good luck.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed May 24, 2006 4:27 pm

there are lots of jobs to be had in audio. 90% of them are not recording rock bands. i work in theater as a engineer, but am hoping to move on to sound design. that's where you get to manipulate and arrange in Logic till your heart's content... or more likely, the director's is. there's also remote recording of jazz and classical concerts, film and tv sound (boom work and post production), etc...

and just to throw two more cents in, if i were a musician checking out studios, my list of reqiurements would be exactly opposite yours. get good sounds, put them together, dont be a jerk, and leave the creativity to me, the musician. there a lot of technical skills that are in demand, but a ton of people completely overlook that because of the proliferation of music arranging software.

gah.....that sounds so negative. just be realistic in your goals.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 24, 2006 7:18 pm

I studied Music and Recording at UNCA. Since I've been out of school I've worked professionally in a small voice talent based studio, as a live sound guy for corporate gigs (even some big deal political gigs), as a sales rep for Music123 (All 23 of us in sales - NJ - were layed off back in March), etc. I really attempted to find studio work in NYC and Philly out of school, ya know, the dream, but no luck. Right now I'm collecting unemployment and working on two full lengths and an ep with my friends' band.

As happy as I am right now with recording a whole lot and taking some side jobs doing freelance live sound and outdoor labor for a friend of mine, I really want to have a career. I'm 33 and want a house, the finances to travel two weeks a year, and the money to spend putting together a real studio space (I've already picked up a considerable amount of gear over the past 8 yrs). I've decided to go back to school for a second Bachelor's degree in either Computer Science or Electrical Engineering. Both of them parallel music technology and recording, so I figure that if I'm lucky in a few yrs I'll start buiding gear or designing audio software... Or maybe I'll just have a job in my 2nd field of study that pays the bills and allows me to pursue recording at night and on the weekends, which is what I've been doing for the past ten yrs or so. I also want to make enough money to travel for pleasure. Definitely on the list right after recording.

Not trying to be a bummer. Obviously there are folks out there recording full-time and paying the bills. I guess I've decided that I'm ok with working part time as an engineer. At least this way I can pick and choose my projects based on creative interests.

One can still work a full-time job AND record fun and for extra cash. Remember that.

Jeff