Acoustic Engineers

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

monocle
audio school graduate

Acoustic Engineers

Post by monocle » Wed May 10, 2006 12:30 pm

I am currently looking into audio schools, and I was wondering if anybody here has specialization in acoustics. How is the job market compared to recording engineers? Is an acoustic engineer more likely to get a regular paying job with a company, or is it the same story as with recording engineers? Are there any sites like this one that specialize in acoustic?

Thanks,

Jon

trumpetgunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by trumpetgunk » Thu May 11, 2006 8:51 am

Here are two sites you may want to check out:

www.ncac.com

That's the website for the National Council of Acoustical Consultants. The site provides links to acoustical consultants in every state. You could probably then contact somebody in your area to ask specific questions to.

http://www.hartford.edu/hartt/curriculums/acoustics.htm

A very highly rated program in music and acoustics.

The question you must ask yourself before asking about the job market is, "Why do you want to be an Acoustic Engineer?" Right now, it almost sounds like you want to get into it for the money. Be careful, as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. 8)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 11, 2006 11:37 am

Columbia College in Chicago has an audio atrs and acoustics program.

monocle
audio school graduate

Post by monocle » Thu May 11, 2006 12:10 pm

trumpetgunk wrote:Here are two sites you may want to check out:

www.ncac.com

That's the website for the National Council of Acoustical Consultants. The site provides links to acoustical consultants in every state. You could probably then contact somebody in your area to ask specific questions to.

http://www.hartford.edu/hartt/curriculums/acoustics.htm

A very highly rated program in music and acoustics.

The question you must ask yourself before asking about the job market is, "Why do you want to be an Acoustic Engineer?" Right now, it almost sounds like you want to get into it for the money. Be careful, as they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. 8)
Thank you for the resources! I'm definitely not intersted in it for the money, I just have no idea what kind of money one can make. I don't know any acoustics guys personally, and I'm just trying to find information on what I can expect in terms of job security and compensation, because that's something we all have to worry about. Also, it would require a cross-country move and that is another factor that adds to my need to know this stuff. I'm just trying to gain a perspective I would need to make an informed decision, but I want to be acousic engineer because I am drawn to it. After more thorough research, I might change my mind, but being a recent college grad and fairly young, I'm somewhat at a crossroads as far as figuring out what I want to do for a career.

Thanks again!

monocle
audio school graduate

Post by monocle » Thu May 11, 2006 12:15 pm

drumsound wrote:Columbia College in Chicago has an audio atrs and acoustics program.
Tony, this is the exact program I am looking into. Do you or anyone you know have experience there? Glad to keep hearing affirmations that Columbia is a good choice!

Jon

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Thu May 11, 2006 11:27 pm

I'm working on getting a PhD in physics specializing in physical acoustics at the University of Mississippi. We actually have on campus one of the few physical acoustics research centers in the world, the National Center for Physical Acoustics. http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/ncpa/
You can get a degree in engineering or physics here with specialization in acoustics. People who have gotten degrees here and done research here have done quite well from what I'm told. One person is even possibly being considered for a Nobel Prize for his discovery of sonoluminescence.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 12, 2006 12:35 pm

monocle wrote:
drumsound wrote:Columbia College in Chicago has an audio atrs and acoustics program.
Tony, this is the exact program I am looking into. Do you or anyone you know have experience there? Glad to keep hearing affirmations that Columbia is a good choice!

Jon
I know that it's been a strong school for years. I also know I applied to teach there and the fuckers didnt even send me a letter of confirmation of receipt, or about the job...

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Mon May 15, 2006 3:40 pm

Jon

It sounds like a trip to Tucson for TapeOpCon might be in order for you if you can swing it; Fran Manzella, Russ Berger, and Eric Blackmer are all acousticians/studio designers who will be attending and participating in the conference. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to ask them about your interests

Frank