Mastering studio VS. recording studio?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Where would YOU rather be?

Poll ended at Sat May 27, 2006 2:53 pm

a mastering facility
No votes
a recording/mixing facility
100%

Total votes: 4

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Mastering studio VS. recording studio?

Post by snuffinthepunk » Wed May 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Two places here in town who are looking for interns, Starstruck Studios, and Masterfonics, received my resume. Starstruck does recording, and Masterfonics does....take a guess. My intention has been to get a spot at a recording studio, as I want to be a recording/mixing engineer. But, if I'm not offered the position at Starstruck (only two resumes were given to them, mine being one of them), I'm curious as to what potential advancing in a mastering studio could provide me with. Would I learn as much important info about tracking and mixing in a mastering studio (just on a different level)? Of course if I end up at Masterfonics, I might love it and decide to go with a career in mastering, ya never know. I'm just curious as to what both places would have to offer me and how it'll affect the direction my future goes in. I'm sure that there are plenty of people around here that know about this stuff, so any insight is much appreciated! Thanks!

Johnny

(is this the right forum for this topic?)
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 25, 2006 9:39 am

You can definitely learn a lot of things as Masterfonics. Some things will translate, but not necessarily in a direct manner. If you goal is tracking and mixing, and both places offer the internship, I'd say go with Starstruck, as they are doing what you're interested in. If only Masterfonics offers, I'd take it and meet people and learn. It might lead to something in a tracking and mixing facility.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Thu May 25, 2006 1:57 pm

Surprisingly, Starstruck already called me (I was told it usually takes a week). So that's pretty groovy. I have an interview/tour tomorrow morning =) I suppose tonight I'll be lookin at their website and brushin up on the kinda gear they have and what not.

www.starstruckstudios.com
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu May 25, 2006 9:06 pm

snuffinthepunk wrote:I suppose tonight I'll be lookin at their website and brushin up on the kinda gear they have and what not.
It would be far more valuable to brush up on the discographies of their staff and or studio.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC