Orange County

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

How much do you dislike Southern CA?

I don't know where California is...
14%
It's all shite...
29%
I would love to pass out and live in/conquer San Diego, especially Balboa Park...
No votes
I agree with that last sentiment, and that's really the only place that people should live in this part of the state...
No votes
I like Los Angeles...
57%

Total votes: 7

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Orange County

Post by foxystoat » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Is there anybody here that reads TapeOp and isn't a complete fashion whore? Not to imply that reading TapeOp encourages that, but I think Orange County, somehow, does.

I'm about to run out to the graveyard across the street and go (insert adjective here) if I can't find someone who is grounded. There is more to life than makeup, hair-sculpting product and preposterous meddling.

I'm lonely. I'm sorry. Things seem so artificial right now. I'm in the wrong state.

Regards,
Benjamin W.

EDIT * * * I was inebriated and grumpy when I typed that. My apologies (somewhat) for the remarks.

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:53 pm

i feels you...

san diego's not that much better, but i don't think it's nearly as snooty as the o.c.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:13 pm

I'll trade one solid week of head high waves (rights, preferably) for all the midwestern non-snootiness I can send.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:05 pm

mjau wrote:I'll trade one solid week of head high waves (rights, preferably) for all the midwestern non-snootiness I can send.
Word up. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the USMC and lived in Oceanside/Carlsbad for a few years and LOVED it. Surfed every day, totally dug the warm weather. Swore that someday I'd move back there. I love Portland too but the last fall and winter was absolutely brutal. Cold. Dark. Wet. Repeat for months on end. Nearly lost my mind.

I guess the grass is always greener.
my band: Mission 5

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Post by foxystoat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:27 pm

There is some really beautiful and interesting geography here, the weather is pleasant almost all year round, but I miss forests and rain and being in a city, proper. Being surrounded by lots of tall buildings and old architecture and history. Being able to pretty much walk wherever you need or want to. There's little pockets I've found here and there, but you need a car because everything is so sprawled out. I miss Seattle.

Thanks to those that didn't scold me for this post in the first place. I didn't intend for it to be malicious and realize vanity will always be around no matter where I move.

Regards,
Benjamin W.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:53 pm

I just moved from San Francisco to San Clemente 4 months ago. I'm finding the transition difficult, but you have to go where the work is...

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:45 pm

I don't know -- yeah, Orange County is pretty bleak, but it's not that much worse than Chico. I've been trying to get out of this knucklehead, flake, meathead, hick, bird-brained place for 4 years. And the place I fleed from --Berkeley/East Bay, was just as bad. It's seems everywhere I go, you can't get away from it -- there's just too many fucking people. And everywhere has a dominant element. But at least in Orange County, you're within a stones' throw of someone who is interested in something other than dying a slow, painful death lying on a couch in front of a T.V., drinking beer and listening to some stupid rock band like the Grateful Dead.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 pm

... And at least you can probably get decent coffee and fresh fish and have a decent bakery within 100 miles.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:26 am

sorry, mate, did you just refer to the Dead as a "rock band?" :shock: :? :???: :shake:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:57 am

But, then again, I'm sick of living in general. This place is probably the best place I've lived in California out of Hollywood, Berkeley, and here. At least people are somewhat helpful and friendly.
I don't know what they are. I sure am sick of living here, though.
dwlb wrote:sorry, mate, did you just refer to the Dead as a "rock band?" :shock: :? :???: :shake: