Austin, TX Build your own Stereo Tube amp!!! Tube amp class

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Joshl
audio school

Austin, TX Build your own Stereo Tube amp!!! Tube amp class

Post by Joshl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Tape op's,

I'm teaching a class on building your own stereo tube amp. Get into the warm, retro, cool, interesting world of vacuum tube. Take control of your music, reach deep into the soundstage without spending an arm and a G5. Tubes are like fine wine and impart a signature sound that brings the music to your lap. I've desgined a class that addresses not only the ins and outs of building a kit but how to experience music. I'm offering a great class at an incredibly low price that gets you closer to the music. Read on:

The class is base on the kit offered by S5 Electronics. You can see it here:

http://www.s5electronics.com/tube12.html

I?ll be teaching this late summer at the Lonestar School of Music, (www.lonestarschoolofmusic.com) . This class is for those who can only make music by playing a stereo and I think there is a duty to play it as well as possible. Classes start September 7th and continue for 8 weeks.

Part of this is to get folks into diy high resolution audio but mostly to get folks closer to listening and enjoying music.

The classes begin on September 7th and will go on for 7 weeks with a different topic each week. Here is a preliminary syllabus:

Week one September 7th- Lee Roitberg ?Soldering and Safety?

How not to kill yourself while building this amp

Week two September 14th- Jonathan Edwards ?What is a Vacuum Tube?

Jonathan has an incredible collection of tubes, at this session he?ll tell what a tube does

Week three September 21st- Robert Johnson ?Time Concept in Music?

Robert is a multi-instrumentalist and will talk about beat and time as he drops the needle of his favorite pieces of vynil

Week four September 28th-Alex Keller ?How an audio Recording is Made?

Alex owns and runs a recording studio named Singular Audio which is housed at the school. He?ll take the class through the full recording process

Week five October 5th-John Day ?Tweaking the 12G?

This class will focus on strategic tweaks to this little kit that improve the sound.

Week six October 12th-Roe Fleenor ?DIY Music Server?

Roe and Lee have been working to put together a high resolution music server which resolves some of the problems associated with conventional music players

Week seven October 19th-Speakers! A crucial element. Get the lowdown from somone who builds them. Fred Thompson will guide you to the best speakers for your new amp! Yeah Fred! Let's Rock!

Week eight October 26th- Time for a party and listening session. I?ll make a gumbo and have a veg option too. We?ll get together to listen to music on the 12G, swap construction stories and have a good time, drop the needle on some vinyl etc.

Mainly this is for beginers but all are welcome of course. The kit is $150 and the class after discount is $112 making it $262.00. This will be a fun and educational time. Drop me a line if you're interested. You can register online and get the discount there. Check out the website, it is pretty cool.

Best, Josh Lasserre 512-627-7023
Best, Josh