Silent Films anyone?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

midi life crisis
audio school

Silent Films anyone?

Post by midi life crisis » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:06 am

For those interested in such things, the Academy of Motion Pictures is presenting "Films of 1907" in San Rafael tomorrow night Dec-06-2007:

http://www.oscars.org/events/films_1907/index_sf.html

If you're around and haven't seen a dancing pig or a Santa held hostage, nows your chance!

We presented this in Los Angeles on Tuesday to a very appreciative sellout crowd. The program runs nearly 3 hours, but moves along quickly and you'll see stuff you can never see in the theaters or on DVD or TV.

Yours truly will be accompanying on the piano.
Mike M

lg
steve albini likes it

Re: Silent Films anyone?

Post by lg » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:31 pm

midi life crisis wrote:For those interested in such things, the Academy of Motion Pictures is presenting "Films of 1907" in San Rafael tomorrow night Dec-06-2007:

http://www.oscars.org/events/films_1907/index_sf.html

If you're around and haven't seen a dancing pig or a Santa held hostage, nows your chance!

We presented this in Los Angeles on Tuesday to a very appreciative sellout crowd. The program runs nearly 3 hours, but moves along quickly and you'll see stuff you can never see in the theaters or on DVD or TV.

Yours truly will be accompanying on the piano.
cool! sorry to have missed it here in LA (was it at the pickford?).

this does bring up a perennially interesting idea- that of live scoring of silent films. i just got a copy of tom verlaine & jimmy rip's 'music for experimental film', which is pretty dang cool (tho it drags in a few places, all in all i find it quite enjoyable in a refreshingly earnest sort of way).

reminds me of my first live-music-set-to-a-silent-film experience, circa 1980: filmforum (then in pasadena, ca) held an outdoor summertime showing of 'the cabinet of dr. caligari' in the alley behind the espresso bar (our favorite hangout) with live electronics & percussion, much of which consisted of a good number of plastic 5-gal water bottles, cut to various depths and used to quite dramatic effect as drums- the plastic sparkletts bottle having been something i'd already discovered for its rich sonic possibilities, thus was gratified to see it used in this context.

ah, the innocent, optimistic days of youth.

anyway, good on ya.

midi life crisis
audio school

Re: Silent Films anyone?

Post by midi life crisis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:45 am

lg wrote:
cool! sorry to have missed it here in LA (was it at the pickford?).
Indeed it was at the Pickford CEnter (Dunn Theater). Sorry I missed the Pasadena show 0 but I was still in NYC then playing for Martha Graham. Silent film was something on PBS every so often. Now it consumes about 1/3 of my life.

Sparkletts bottles - hmmm, I'l have to try those. Trader Joe's H2O bottles seem a little flat to me. :)
Mike M