What's going on in Charlotte, NC?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

jzahos
gettin' sounds

What's going on in Charlotte, NC?

Post by jzahos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm in Charlotte this weekend for my grandfather's funeral - he had 94 great years! Anyway, I'm interested to know if there are cool shows going on and where. Web searches revealed a bit, but nothing stood out. What are some venues that are actively host indie acts?

Thanks!
Jeff Z.
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
www.jeffzahos.com

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:14 am

The Charlotte Music Factory is having some sort of all day show today (Saturday).

http://www.wearnuthing.com/nsc2009_tickets.html

Not going myself, but it looks like it could be cool. I'm familiar with a lot of the bands on the bill.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 am

I'm in NYC with Mitch Easter right now, but you can go to www.cln.com and select "Charlotte" and then go to the music listings. I recommend seeing Mike Strauss, Benji Hughes, 2013 Wolves, The Spongetones, Troublewalkers, etc. I think Mike is playing Thursday. There will be a good jazz trio at Blue downtown on Thursday, too. You can check out www.ronbrendle.com and go see anything he's involved with (probably jazz) this weekend.

The Evening Muse is an awesome venue. The Double Door Inn is good for blues and jammy stuff. Snug Harbor usually has great rock-type stuff.

For local favorites, eat at Dish, Lupie's, The Penguin, and the best fried chicken ever can be had at Price's Chicken Coop.

Manifest Records is a cool store with a great new and used selection.

Sorry for the brief synopsis.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC