Interview with Gabe Roth

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Interview with Gabe Roth

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:31 am

Hi all,

I just did an interview with Gabe Roth for SonicScoop that I think some of you would dig.

He talks a lot on topics we discuss here all the time: making records that matter to people, how sustainable independent success happens, and remembering not to waste too much time fetishising gear.

I think it's a really great and timely read. Hope you enjoy!

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Great interview. Roth's perspective is especially interesting because he's got a hand in every aspect of the business as songwriter, performer, producer, and label head... A good read for sure and useful info for someone interesting in any of the above mentioned fields.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm

reading it now. thanks justin!

EDIT: just finished. awesome and inspiring. thanks again...

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:36 am

Thanks! Yeah, Gabe's a smart guy. Just shutting my mouth and listening to him share his experience for an hour made me feel like I aged ten years. In a good way. Really invaluable stuff!

I hope I did an ok job of cutting it down to a place where it's a quick and easy read, but still preserves a lot of the insight he brings to the table. Enjoy!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:58 am

very nice!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:21 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:very nice!
+1

Really well portioned and laid out too, as a read. People can get all hung up on Gabe's opinionated side sometimes and forget (or not think about) the fact that he's a smart and disciplined engineer and producer who puts a ton of thought into his musical and business decisions, and that he's not some pseudo-historical entity or institution, but a living breathing artist who is as open to learning new things, growing and bettering himself as anybody else. I think the interview showed that pretty well.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:13 am

DrummerMan wrote:
People can get all hung up on Gabe's opinionated side sometimes and forget (or not think about) the fact that he's a smart and disciplined engineer and producer who puts a ton of thought into his musical and business decisions, and that he's not some pseudo-historical entity or institution, but a living breathing artist who is as open to learning new things, growing and bettering himself as anybody else. I think the interview showed that pretty well.
Thanks, that means a lot! It's true: Although Gabe can appear adamant and single-minded in certain interviews (which makes for a great read) his real-life demeanor is quite pleasant and open to different strokes.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for that. Great read and indeed nice job on the interview. I like how you peeled back the layers of the onion instead of just perpetuating what most people initially latch on to. It was interesting after reading the "Gritty" stuff a few years ago too...

Cheers,

Josh