Recording Connection Audio Institute

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

ALFweeks
audio school graduate

Post by ALFweeks » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:54 am

I hate it when some folks look down on guys who attended recording schools. That's so elitist. As long as you learned the trade, does it really matter how or where you learned it?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:15 am

There are a lot of trades where you go to school and presumably learn the trade thoroughly. When you get out you think you know everything there is. This irritates people who employ you unless they don't know any better. Maybe schools have gotten better, maybe mankind has gotten less arrogant, I don't know, I doubt it on both counts, so, I insist on someone who has interned, or someone who wants to intern to prove their metal. Nobody needs a fresh faced hothead to piss off clients.
There's yer bias.

When you're an intern yo need to learn:
How hard it is to maintain a facility,
How hard it is to maintain the calendar and how to keep it full,
How to deal with other interns,
How hard is is to GET clients,
How to run sessions,
How to retain clients,
How to deal with clients long term,
and the nuances of stuff not learned in school, that if you don' know, you could bring a studio down to nuttin in no time, by accident.

If a studio hasn't advertised needing interns, and you're just pushy enough to sell them on the idea successfully, I don't see how they would refuse, you have to continuously demonstrate how you are a benefit. Then they hire you out of guilt if you're really good at that and you generate more business.
Harumph!

ALFweeks
audio school graduate

Post by ALFweeks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:39 am

Great Advice.

rogersbarton
audio school graduate

Post by rogersbarton » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:52 am

Brian wrote: When you're an intern yo need to learn:
How hard it is to maintain a facility,
How hard it is to maintain the calendar and how to keep it full,
How to deal with other interns,
How hard is is to GET clients,
How to run sessions,
How to retain clients,
How to deal with clients long term,
and the nuances of stuff not learned in school, that if you don' know, you could bring a studio down to nuttin in no time, by accident.
And you won't learn this in university.

KendricK
pluggin' in mics

Post by KendricK » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:51 am

Brian, a lot of new guys out of training are like that. All piss and vinegar.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 am

KendricK wrote:Brian, a lot of new guys out of training are like that. All piss and vinegar.
In every industry and small business.
Harumph!

ALFweeks
audio school graduate

Post by ALFweeks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:32 am

I remember my first job, what a cocky little sh#te I was .

ALFweeks
audio school graduate

Post by ALFweeks » Tue May 01, 2012 1:16 am

Still am I am being told.

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

It all depends

Post by ghaines » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Lot's of real schools offer masters/bachelor's degrees. Usually, engineering programs where you get both degrees in 5 years when you graduate. That piece of Jeopardy trivia aside:

We've had maybe six of these RC kids come through. Most were very young ( 18 ) and confused about what the path to becoming an recording engineer is. (Understandably). Some are older (mid 20's). We had one quit after sitting in on a session. Person said "I would rather slice open my own throat than do this for a living!" I think that student got a refund (or large refund) and changed industries and is happier now. We've had some people that came in unable to tie their shoes and now are recording people on their own and getting freelance jobs, and we've had people everywhere in between.

It is less expensive than most schools, but requires a) a student who is driven and b) a studio that tries to work with the student. If either falls through, it goes to pieces.

If you want a "structured education" it's one of the options out there. I'm not a fan of recording schools, but believe that some individuals thrive in such environments. If you're one of those people, pick the school that's best for you.
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA