Small town traffic cop, with a human face...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Small town traffic cop, with a human face...

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, The People of the State of New York vs. Joel Patterson has been adjudicated... long and short of it, I am a free man tonight.

I got nabbed in a speed trap last month in a small upstate New York hamlet (on my way to do some pro bono concert recording, but that's another thread) and even as he was handing me the citation, the cop was already wheeling and dealing.

"You can plead guilty... or if you plead not guilty and show up in court, come see me and I can keep the points off your record." Points? Last speeding ticket I got was in 1997, so I'm a little hazy on what points mean... but I'm no fool, and the guy seemed like he was sincerely offering me several winks and nods of advice. So, I show up at the appointed hour to find a dozen fellow criminals milling around the courthouse lobby. Officer G------ emerges from a door, and motions me into an alcove.

"Well, this was 45 in a 30-- but I'm willing to bargain down to Parking on the Pavement. No points, no surcharge, won't get reported to the DMV. Is this agreeable to you?"

I feel like I've won a lottery. Then, I notice he's doing this routine with everybody. Hushed little conferences, with the defendants breathing sighs of relief. And here I was all ready to ask for the calibration records for his radar gun! I actually had a whole Perry Mason routine more-or-less worked out, but this back channel negotiation has undercut it all. And I feel grateful.

The actual appearance before the judge was an assembly line on steroids, I heard him reciting to the people before me, to me, and to those after me "Have to spoken to the officer? Do you understand the charges as they've been reduced? How do you plead now?" Here we have a corrupt little system going whole hog, and the check for $125 I wrote out (once I shifted from the Plea Chair to the Check Writing Out Chair) I did with the same glee I'd approach donating to some humanitarian relief effort.

These guys are clever psychologists, no question... but then I recall in my taxi driving days, you always quoted an overblown fare... and so when you got to your destination, and it's alot less, the people are so happy.

Court is adjourned! :hammer:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 pm

"...You, you're flyin' in your taxi, gettin' tips, and gettin'..."

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:28 am

FUNNY you should mention it, but...

You know how sometimes you feel the unseen hand of God dealing a few cards in the poker game of your life?

The real unspoken lesson of this whole affair I can distill into one little phrase, let me quote from that master of the inappropriate blunder that ruins your whole career, mister Elvis Costello: "You better watch your step..."

Not ten minutes before I glanced in my mirror and saw those flashing red lights... I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside, and the essence of this feeling was, bluntly, to string along a little metaphor, "I sure wish I had a "Doobie Brothers tape" with me, it's such a relaxing afternoon and the sun is setting so nicely, man it would be so fine to just relax with a little "Doobie Brothers tape"... I'm sure you know that feeling...?

And the thing of it is, I was in my new Jeep, but in my old Jeep, there were a few "Doobie Brothers tapes" in the glove box, wrapped neatly in a little plastic bag... and so, thinking about what a friend had said I was hoping it was a lie, I SURE had to thank my lucky stars that when Officer G------- sauntered up to the car, there wasn't a half of a "Doobie Brothers tape" smoldering in the ashtray, and the reek of "Doobie Brothers tape" filling the interior.

THAT, for sure, would have been my Elvis Costello moment.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 am

Wild story. I wonder is this is one way that the law enforcement and legal system are working together to keep the courts from getting severely bogged down. It never fails that the cases that take up the most time are for minor drug possession and traffic violation charges. By getting people to plead guilty to a lesser charge the whole process speeds up so they can spend time on more serious charges.

Just a thought,
Chris

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 am

I haven't listened to a Doobie Bros. tape since I was in high school (no Sean Punn intended), and that was a loooonnnggg time ago.

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 am

Gregg Juke wrote:... a loooonnnggg time ago...
Yeah, darling, it keeps you running....

I certainly couldn't begin to compare the experience of Doobie Brothers tapes these days to anything approaching what they were like in high school. Back then, the very texture of the surrounding environment took on phantasmagorical shapes and subtle hues, anything was possible, and my dull little suburban neighborhood was alive with astonishing wonders and mind-bogulating connections... these days, barely more than a a slight notching up of the overall volume and attenuating the background noise, just a little?

Chris, that's probably a good point-- it was a swift operation-- I can't believe there is not some accountant whose job it is to calculate how much of a profit center they got on their hands, per hour, from when the doors open at 6:30 until the last case is settled. Extortion? That's a big word... but then, maybe there's a little flashbackery going on, or something, because when I drove by the stakeout on my way into town last night, could it be? The cop on duty was actually asleep at the wheel? That... couldn't... be... real... could it?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 pm

joelpatterson wrote: I certainly couldn't begin to compare the experience of Doobie Brothers tapes these days to anything approaching what they were like in high school. Back then, the very texture of the surrounding environment took on phantasmagorical shapes and subtle hues, anything was possible, and my dull little suburban neighborhood was alive with astonishing wonders and mind-bogulating connections... these days, barely more than a a slight notching up of the overall volume and attenuating the background noise, just a little?
That's interesting because you usually hear fans of the Doobs talking about how much better "Doobie Brothers Tapes" are these days. Something about new techniques & better technology ... so smooth

Then again maybe you just need to get some head cleaner.

LOL[/url]

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 pm

To your original point though, strange... I've pleaded down tickets before, but with a prosecutor, not a traffic cop...

Sounds kind of Boss Hogg/Hazzard County to me...

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:57 pm

The prosecutor? Was that the guy in the corner with the axe and the black hood on his head?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:24 am

Gregg Juke wrote:To your original point though, strange... I've pleaded down tickets before, but with a prosecutor, not a traffic cop...

Sounds kind of Boss Hogg/Hazzard County to me...

GJ
Yeah! I thought the story was gonna end with the cop tucking it in his pocket or sompin' ...

BTW, plea deals are to the criminal (and quasi criminal, as traffic is) courts, as informers are to the criminal investigations/prosecutions.

It's systemic, long-standing, and accepted, if not actually publicized.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:54 am

I think the point was that it's strange that the plea deal would be negotiated by the arresting officer....

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:59 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I think the point was that it's strange that the plea deal would be negotiated by the arresting officer....
Hence my comment, "I thought the story was gonna end with the cop tucking it in his pocket or sompin' ..."

Joel did describe it as "a small New York hamlet." The cop might well be the village comptroller, also. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:21 pm

No kidding.

Years back (early 90's), my band had a New Year's Eve gig in Corning. GREAT gig, the star treatment, dinner, overnight accomodations, and I paid each guy a considerable chunk of change from the vast sums we received (I think the guys I contracted got at least $300 each, and there was quite a bit left over). Remember, this was the 90's. Good money (which I only posted because it will be meaningful as you read ahead).

So, my bass-player is driving by himself through a little "hamlet" on the way home from Corning to Buffalo, and didn't see the 45mph sign as he cruised through the nameless town (at probably 68mph?).

Long-story short, he was tagged for speeding for about $150 more than he made the night before at the gig!

This is quite a source of income for some small municipalities.

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Well, that gives me an idea, what about I decree that there's a 5 mph limit as you pass infront of my driveway? My neighbors have a few bucks they could stand to part with...?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Funny, this "Doobie Brothers tape" of which you speak sounds remarkably like the "Frank Zappa album with the green cover" my friends and I discussed over the phone back in high school.

OT (ha ha)...Donn Landee & Ted Templeman got some great sounds on those other Doobie Bros tapes, especially Tiran Porter's super-punchy bass.