Demo Request / Evidence that the music industry rips us off

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

gavstephenson
audio school

Demo Request / Evidence that the music industry rips us off

Post by gavstephenson » Fri May 26, 2006 5:15 am

Hope everyone is well.

The music industry complains when you download but prices their music high. Wouldn't a 23 track album PLUS a DVD for ?7 be more fair?

This post is to announce that following two fantastically received E.P.s on Shelflife Records, The Arrogants? first full-length C.D. "You?ve Always Known When Best To Say Goodbye" is out now!

Comprising of a staggering 23 songs and backed by a DVD including documentaries and the acclaimed previous E.P.s (now out of print) in their entirety in mp3 format, this album is intentionally low priced at ?7, in the band's own words, "to show that it is possible. Love money less and people more."

You can download 6 full tracks and purchase the album at:

www.letterboxrecords.com/arrogants.htm

On a different subject Letterbox Records is requesting demos with a view to increase the Letterbox roster still further. The address to send demos can be found at:

www.letterboxrecords.com/contact.htm

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Gav

www.letterboxrecords.com

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri May 26, 2006 6:02 am

Umm...

You'd better look up and memorize the actual definition of the verb "to comprise". You are misusing it.

gavstephenson
audio school

Post by gavstephenson » Fri May 26, 2006 6:13 am

"Consisting of a staggering 23 songs and backed by a DVD...", unless I'm missing something.

;ivlunsdystf

Re: Demo Request / Evidence that the music industry rips us

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri May 26, 2006 7:53 am

gavstephenson wrote: Comprising of a staggering 23 songs and backed by a DVD including documentaries and the acclaimed ...

www.letterboxrecords.com
You are missing something. Look again.

It's not such a rare error, though, to transpose 'compose' and 'comprise' in one's everyday usage. Come on, now. Don't get all down on yourself.

Oh, also: I don't think the TOMB moderators appreciate when people use the board for marketing purposes.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 26, 2006 10:19 am

Tatertot wrote:Oh, also: I don't think the TOMB moderators appreciate when people use the board for marketing purposes.
That's why this got bumped to the other listening forum.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri May 26, 2006 11:06 am

Yeah, the bump makes for a slightly better fit.

Jim_Boulter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jim_Boulter » Sun May 28, 2006 6:53 pm

Tatertot wrote: It's not such a rare error, though, to transpose 'compose' and 'comprise' in one's everyday usage.
Wow, Tot. Guess I'm missing it, too. "To be composed of" is an actual dictionary definition of "comprise" - at least in mine. What does yours say? How do you use it? (Why is this post getting this sort of attention?)
If you're not prepared to look stupid, nothing great is ever gonna happen.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun May 28, 2006 8:06 pm

Jim_Boulter wrote:
Tatertot wrote: It's not such a rare error, though, to transpose 'compose' and 'comprise' in one's everyday usage.
Wow, Tot. Guess I'm missing it, too. "To be composed of" is an actual dictionary definition of "comprise" - at least in mine. What does yours say? How do you use it? (Why is this post getting this sort of attention?)
Yeah, you can either write "comprises" or "is composed of", but you can't write "is comprised of", at least not correctly.

Keep thinking about it. You'll eventually comprehend the distinction.

Anyway, the dude misquoted himself in his response to my first post.

None of this has anything to do with preamps, mics, etc.

gavstephenson
audio school

Post by gavstephenson » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:06 am

Oh, I did not misquote myself. I was simply suggesting a revised sentence to the one in question.

Maybe I should have simplified it all and wrote,

"HAS 23 songs..."

mikehattem
gettin' sounds

Post by mikehattem » Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:44 am

Comprised of... sounds perfectly fine to me... as in "comprised of a number of different blah blah blahs"

no?!??!?

I have since found this at Merriam Webster (pay note to the end paragraph):

Main Entry: com?prise
Pronunciation: k&m-'prIz
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): com?prised; com?pris?ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French compris, past participle of comprendre, from Latin comprehendere
1 : to include especially within a particular scope <civilization as Lenin used the term would then certainly have comprised the changes that are now associated in our minds with "developed" rather than "developing" states -- Times Literary Supplement>
2 : to be made up of <a vast installation, comprising fifty buildings -- Jane Jacobs>
3 : COMPOSE, CONSTITUTE <a misconception as to what comprises a literary generation -- William Styron> <about 8 percent of our military forces are comprised of women -- Jimmy Carter>

USAGE: Although it has been in use since the late 18th century, sense 3 is still attacked as wrong. Why it has been singled out is not clear, but until comparatively recent times it was found chiefly in scientific or technical writing rather than belles lettres. Our current evidence shows a slight shift in usage: sense 3 is somewhat more frequent in recent literary use than the earlier senses. You should be aware, however, that if you use sense 3 you may be subject to criticism for doing so, and you may want to choose a safer synonym such as compose or make up.

Damn, I have too much time on my hands. :(

Mike
My Band: NATIONAL STEEL
http://www.myspace.com/nationalsteel

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Fuck the music industry.
gavstephenson wrote:Hope everyone is well.

The music industry complains when you download but prices their music high. Wouldn't a 23 track album PLUS a DVD for ?7 be more fair?

This post is to announce that following two fantastically received E.P.s on Shelflife Records, The Arrogants? first full-length C.D. "You?ve Always Known When Best To Say Goodbye" is out now!

Comprising of a staggering 23 songs and backed by a DVD including documentaries and the acclaimed previous E.P.s (now out of print) in their entirety in mp3 format, this album is intentionally low priced at ?7, in the band's own words, "to show that it is possible. Love money less and people more."

You can download 6 full tracks and purchase the album at:

www.letterboxrecords.com/arrogants.htm

On a different subject Letterbox Records is requesting demos with a view to increase the Letterbox roster still further. The address to send demos can be found at:

www.letterboxrecords.com/contact.htm

Thanks for reading and enjoy!

Gav

www.letterboxrecords.com

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:22 am

gavstephenson wrote:On a different subject Letterbox Records is requesting demos with a view to increase the Letterbox roster still further. The address to send demos can be found at:
Jesus, dude, you're on the interweb - if you can't find it yourself, then... oh well, nevermind.

Also, I don't understand - two "fantastically received" E.P.s - including a "full-length" CD... what exactly am I getting on the DVD? An EP or an LP or both? And, gee, was there not room on the DVD for the non-mp3 tracks?

So much litter... so little time.
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:05 am

Well anyway I agree that the industry is full of crap. Take my label for example, the new What Lies Within discog is well under $10 at most places and it's... umm... 'got' 11 tunes on it. It's also awesome and a must have for fans of Bane and Shai Halud.

...and seeing how it's to late to save this thread from 'marketing purposes' all the HTR releases can now be picked up at www.Verydistro.com :]

YAY for cheap self promotion!!!!

gavstephenson
audio school

Post by gavstephenson » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:24 am

maybe the key to effective self promotion is poor grammer.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:24 am

gavstephenson wrote:maybe the key to effective self promotion is poor grammer.
or, misspelling the word, "GRAMMAR".