Good electric/tronic jazz?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Good electric/tronic jazz?

Post by alex matson » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:30 pm

I love to listen to IDM/trance....for about five minutes before I'm wanting to phone in a chord change. When I was an impressionable lad, older friends turned me on to The Dixie Dregs' 'What If' and Bill Bruford's 'One Of A Kind'. Also love old Metheny. Is anyone trying to combine shifting chords and improvisation with an electric or electronic setting?
I do love old acoustic piano trios, etc. I just want to hear it in a fresh setting sometimes.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:51 pm

Check out Miles Davis' Agharta album.
It is a live 2LP that is one of 2 Japanese concerts he played on the same day in the early 70s (the other is called Pangaea).
It's more electric than electronic and pretty psychedelic but it melts my brain every time I hear it. His guitar player from this period, Pete Cosey, is totally untouchable.

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:34 pm

If you're really looking for some modern electronic experimentation look up John scofield's album Uberjam...Crazy stuff...Live drums through filters bass synths d&b rhythms....Also do a google search for Fake Science Lab Report...They specialize in electronic muze an may be a great resource...

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:44 pm

James Blood Ulmer "Free Lancing"

Sonny Sharock "Ask the Ages"

The above two are electric guitar centric. Personally I think Free Lancing is one of the most intense records ever made.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:59 pm

Well, not to be an ass (or an ass engineer) or anything, but, dude, check out my band Eleven Eyes....

http://www.eleveneyes.org

http://www.myspace.com/eleveneyes

Other stuff you may dig: Just about any of the Thirsty Ear Blue Series discs, curated by pianist Matthew Shipp, combine some very outward leaning Jazz players with electronics, Tim Hagan's Animation/Imagination band, Wane Horvitz' Mylab, any of Rob Mazurek's projects like the Chicago Underground Duo/Trio/Quartet or isotope 217 (a sort of Tortoise Spin-off), Vijay Iyer & Mike Ladd's In What Language, Steve Coleman, man, I could go on for days, it's sort of my style.

Definitely check out the classics, Miles Davis from In a Silent Way to Agharta/Pangaea, Herbie Hancock's Sextant, which has some amazing early modular synth stuff, early Weather Report, especially Mr. Gone, which has some amazing synth sounds and playing, Ornette Coleman and PrimeTime, etc, etc.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:03 am

Thanks to all. I'll check all your suggestions out. And anyone who buys Bruford's One Of A Kind will surely be impressed. When I was about twenty I wrote to the keyboard player on that album, Dave Stewart (no not the Eurythmics guy) and he was nice enough to write me back a long handwritten letter (among other things, he advised me not to go to college if I wanted to be an original, but rather to follow Frank Zappa's advice: "Go to the library and educate yourself...if you've got the guts." He's written two books about music as well. He says that a lot of jazz music is just as conventional in its own way as pop - it overuses certain chords and structures. I tend to agree. It amazes me that musicians who can play so well and have studied all these innovators seem content to rehash old stuff.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:59 am

These are good tips * adds all albums to Amazon wishlist *

I came across the Gotan Project recently, which is fantastic stuff. Jazzy accordiontronica. Superb, sophisticated stuff. It makes me feel classy and smart.

And do check out Matthew Shipp's own discs - some of his songs I heard integrated the two genres better than anything else I've come across - but I can't remember the names of the albums! Sorry...Some Amazoning would turn them up I'm sure.

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:33 am

Well, Tortoise has been sort of mentioned, but I'd highly recommend them for the uninitiated - "millions now living will never die" would be a good starter.
And what about Squarepusher? Some of his stuff is kinda fast/crazy electronic, but he goes super jazzy on the album "music is rotted one note" and some ep's from that period. His best stuff, imo.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:31 am

Good recommendations above...the Thirsty Ear stuff, Tortoise, Isotope 217, etc. (and, of course, electric era Miles). One of my highest recommendations in this genre is the Tied & Tickled Trio. This is a German group that includes members of The Notwist and is, to my ears, a superb electronic/jazz blend. I'd recommend the 'Electric Ave. Tapes' and 'Observing Systems' recordings. Also, look into the scene on the Rune Grammofon label. Supersilent, in particular, are pretty amazing.

clicktrack
audio school

Post by clicktrack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:41 pm

Nils Petter Molvaer <link.

Enjoy....

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:56 pm

Ooh, I forgot to mention Miles Davis "Get Up With It".
More early 70s electric jazz psych freakout. Very cool and I love the way this record sounds. "Rated X" is mixed in total proto-hiphop style where the drum subgroup is muted in and out for effect.
Also, the soundtrack for the excellent 70s movie Fantastic Planet is pretty choice.

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:42 pm

Bela Fleck, maybe some early Chick Corea too.
________
Honda VT250 history
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Herbie Hancock did alot of that stuff in the 70's (check out Sextant, which you can buy at a used record store for about a dollar). Some of my favorite over-the top synth playing was Jan Hammer with Jeff Beck (Wired, There and Back).

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:21 pm

Brad Meldhau did a very interesting record called Largo a few years ago with Jon Brion producing and bunch of the "Jon Brion clan" LA session guys playing. While it's not electronica or trance or anything, it's a very interesting record from a guy who up 'til then had done a bunch of really good-sounding, if not pretty standard piano trio records.

You might appreciate some of the stuff that basssist/engineer/producer Bill Laswell has been involved with. I'd also recommend that you check out Tabla Beat Science. Trumpet player Tim Hagans also did some really cool drum-n-bass sort of jazz records around 2000 that you might dig. There was one called [iAnimation.Imagination[/i] and then a live record called Re-animatin Live that's really good.

Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

supertzar
ass engineer

Post by supertzar » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:49 am