Amy Winehouse "Back to Black"

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:45 pm

I'm sure they all act real 60's when they are checking email on their Sidekicks.... I saw her at SXSW and it was abysmal. It was like watching a tribute band... TOTALLY un-funky, like a Berklee R&B class dressed up in suits. She herself had a great voice, and maybe the record sounds awesome (haven't heard it), but I was so underwhelmed by the live show... it was R&B for yuppies.

I have a problem with people pretending that they are completely timewarped from some 'better funkier' era... playing R&B is timeless, but everyone dressing and dancing like it is 1962 is just kitch to me...

can you tell I didn't think it was good?

I should check out the album, though, and maybe I'll dig it, if it sounds good....

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:05 pm

I just bought the CD, and it's really very good, if a touch, eh, overdone.

But overdone very well.

My 10 year old daughter likes it, as does my 69 year old moms.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:11 pm

toaster3000 wrote:I'm sure they all act real 60's when they are checking email on their Sidekicks.... I saw her at SXSW and it was abysmal. It was like watching a tribute band... TOTALLY un-funky, like a Berklee R&B class dressed up in suits. She herself had a great voice, and maybe the record sounds awesome (haven't heard it), but I was so underwhelmed by the live show... it was R&B for yuppies.

I have a problem with people pretending that they are completely timewarped from some 'better funkier' era... playing R&B is timeless, but everyone dressing and dancing like it is 1962 is just kitch to me...

I should check out the album, though, and maybe I'll dig it, if it sounds good....

john

Yeah get the album live and the album are like night and day.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:08 pm

toaster3000 wrote:I'm sure they all act real 60's when they are checking email on their Sidekicks.... I saw her at SXSW and it was abysmal. It was like watching a tribute band... TOTALLY un-funky, like a Berklee R&B class dressed up in suits. She herself had a great voice, and maybe the record sounds awesome (haven't heard it), but I was so underwhelmed by the live show... it was R&B for yuppies.

I saw some YouTube footage of them at SXSW and in NY, you're right, pretty lame. But I've got to vouch for those guys (Dap-Tones)-they kill.
(looks like she uses a different band overseas)

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

the riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the riff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:55 am

I like the cd. Mark Ronson seems to be a good producer.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:00 pm

I saw her on Letterman. Meh.

When are we going to get past ironic derivative?

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 am

I picked her album up yesterday, I think it's good stuff. I would have liked more uptempo tunes, but the sound is cool.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 am

kayagum wrote:I saw her on Letterman. Meh.

When are we going to get past ironic derivative?
I finally got it. I still can't stop listening to it. Nevermind the recorded sounds being awesome, the arrangements are incredible...like...Bob Marley incredible
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:27 pm

I saw the bloody pictures of her from over the weekend ... fight with her boyfriend or whatever ... the music?

Oh, yeah, right, she does some singing between binges, right?

Well, if that "Rehab" song isn't a perfect me-me-me look at me-me-me anthem for our strange times, I don't know what is ... I think she should actually give rehab a prolonged try; she might find that she enjoys flaunting her sobriety as much as she enjoys parading her wild side around the streets of the world. That could be years away, though, and in the meantime I predict that she will be dead within two years.

Oh, wait, isn't she a musician too?