1990's - You're supposed to be my friend

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

1990's - You're supposed to be my friend

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Anyone else digging this song? It's totally my favorite of right now. The guitar sound for the solo at the end is so horrible that it is just amazing. The song itself is like the Dolls with a disco beat, but why take my word for itself.

[url]http://homepage.mac.com/trick8/07%20You ... nd.m4a[url]

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:06 pm

Hahhah.

I've heard of, but hadn't heard these guys. That guitar solo is hilariously awesome. Almost Lou Reed bad. Lou Reed bad good. Bad ass.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:37 am

ha! that's pretty awesome. i love that guitar during the rest in the middle of the song... almost US Mapleish in its perfectly played "mistake."

what a weird, fun track.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:12 pm

If you dig that tune, you'll prolly dig the rest of the record. Nothing grounbreaking, but good fun.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:20 pm

I just had to remaster that track from the already mastered track for a compilation. The original mastering is just some seriously "poke a stick in your ear" upper mids cranked to all hell, along with slamming the whole thing with a seriously ugly limiter, that turned the open hihats into completely all gritty and harsh, along with creating some serious crackling artifacts all through it - so that it simply didn't fit sonically with any of the other tracks on the compilation just using it as is.

I had to tame down the mid channel with a de-esser, and run the side channel through a little bit of a decrackling algorithm, and pull the track down about a dB so that the output ceiling is a real world -0.75dBFs before it didn't make you want to rip your headphones off your ears when the track came up after setting the playback level to some of the other more ummm, "sensibly" mastered tracks.

I'm sure the band's goal was to make this the loudest track on earth when they mastered it and they'd probably would be bummed that it was forced to "play nice with the others" - but there was no way I was going to crush the rest of the tracks on the album to death just to match it!

Anyway - musically it's definitely a cool and rocking track that has a hook that gets in your head - definitely I would be interested in hearing this band live.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:21 am

Pretty cool track. I might spin it on WXDU next time I get a shift.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Cellotron wrote:I just had to remaster that track from the already mastered track for a compilation. The original mastering is just some seriously "poke a stick in your ear" upper mids cranked to all hell, along with slamming the whole thing with a seriously ugly limiter, that turned the open hihats into completely all gritty and harsh, along with creating some serious crackling artifacts all through it - so that it simply didn't fit sonically with any of the other tracks on the compilation just using it as is.

I had to tame down the mid channel with a de-esser, and run the side channel through a little bit of a decrackling algorithm, and pull the track down about a dB so that the output ceiling is a real world -0.75dBFs before it didn't make you want to rip your headphones off your ears when the track came up after setting the playback level to some of the other more ummm, "sensibly" mastered tracks.

I'm sure the band's goal was to make this the loudest track on earth when they mastered it and they'd probably would be bummed that it was forced to "play nice with the others" - but there was no way I was going to crush the rest of the tracks on the album to death just to match it!

Anyway - musically it's definitely a cool and rocking track that has a hook that gets in your head - definitely I would be interested in hearing this band live.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
That's awesome that you goto to work on it. What compilation? I'm sure that you did the right thing for the comp, but I have to say while I often don't like things that are crushed this song has such an attitude and aggressiveness to the sound that I just love it. Sometimes things should make you just a bit uncomfortable. I often think things sound very average these days and for me the sound of this tune at least stands out.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:12 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Pretty cool track. I might spin it on WXDU next time I get a shift.
If you get a chance you should check out the rest of the record, definitely more than one "single" on there.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Trick Fall wrote:
Cellotron wrote:I just had to remaster that track from the already mastered track for a compilation. The original mastering is just some seriously "poke a stick in your ear" upper mids cranked to all hell, along with slamming the whole thing with a seriously ugly limiter, that turned the open hihats into completely all gritty and harsh, along with creating some serious crackling artifacts all through it - so that it simply didn't fit sonically with any of the other tracks on the compilation just using it as is.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
That's awesome that you goto to work on it. What compilation?
It's World's Fairs' 2007 Fall Sampler - http://www.worlds-fair.net

Lots of very cool acts on their roster - Sharon Jones, Budos Band, El-P, Hangar 18, British Sea Power, The Autumns, Tiny Masters of Today, Aesop Rock, Junk Science, The Grey Race - all were on this comp as well.

I'm not sure whether this is just for promo for CMJ next week or if it will actually get a public release - I have a feeling it's probably the 1st of the 2 options.
I'm sure that you did the right thing for the comp, but I have to say while I often don't like things that are crushed this song has such an attitude and aggressiveness to the sound that I just love it. Sometimes things should make you just a bit uncomfortable. I often think things sound very average these days and for me the sound of this tune at least stands out.
I can easily see how the "rudeness" of it's production could definitely be appealing - but I think if you're listening on speakers or headphones that hype the high end then the original master would burn holes in your ear drums if you wanted to crank your stereo up to 11 (which is what things like AC/DC or Gang of Four make me wanna do). To me I think it could have had a lot more punch and impact, but still retained its really cool character and vibe and been a lot more "crankable" if it hadn't been so crushed. But that's just me! Obviously the band approved the smashed master so I figure you're hearing what they wanted.

Best regards,
Steve Berson