10 Recording Bloopers That Made the Album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds

Post by A National Acrobat » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:58 am

GooberNumber9 wrote:
BlackCoffeeSound wrote:Since it's technically on-topic, what exactly is happening during Zep's 'How Many More Times' during the bowing section where you can hear parts of another song/take pretty clearly?

This has to be an entry level question but sorry, I just want to know what it is.....
If you listen to enough zep, you'll hear TONS of this. Dazed and Confused is another example. I think it's print through and/or crosstalk from other vocal takes that got thrown out later. In some cases it's almost definitely print through because you hear a premonition of the very loud vocals that Plant is about to sing. It would be interesting to me to get an old copy of the LP and see if you can hear it on that, just to see if the print-through happened before or after the original master was made.

Todd Wilcox
I knew there had to be a technical explanation for all that. I've noticed it ever since I was 11 and started listening to Zeps first album.

'Print Through' is another facet of tape recording I am totally unfamiliar with. The last tape device I used was a Tascam 488. Since then I went to Pro Tools back in 2003 or so. I never learned as much about analog as I should. But yeah, I can kind of hear that sort of thing all over LZ 1.

Like in How Many More Times right after the line 'got me a girl and I kissed her then and then'. You can hear some kind of guitar that sounds a tad like Communication Breakdown or maybe it's just my ears.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:42 pm

I noticed the other day that there seems to be a bad edit on "I Got You" by Stone Temple Pilots...It seems to me the echo on the vocals seems to mysteriously drop at :40 when Weiland sings the word "times"...Seems like a bad edit to me, anyone else?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:54 pm

There are no bad edits, only bad editing.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:24 pm

ipressrecord wrote:There are no bad edits, only bad editing.
yes, Master Yoda!

*remembers his failure at the cave*

context is everything!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:17 pm

cgarges wrote:Kenny Rogers audibly clearing his throat before the key change in "The Gambler."
Are you sure that's a goof, Chris? It seems so natural with the modulation and the narrator character.

There's one of those on Wish You Were Here, too.

I gotta chime in with a +1 on leaving a mistake or two on the album. You might think its a squeaky piano pedal. I think it proves I didn't play samples.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:18 am

apropos of nothing wrote:
cgarges wrote:Kenny Rogers audibly clearing his throat before the key change in "The Gambler."
Are you sure that's a goof, Chris? It seems so natural with the modulation and the narrator character.

I gotta chime in with a +1 on leaving a mistake or two on the album. You might think its a squeaky piano pedal. I think it proves I didn't play samples.
The real art is finding the place to put in the squeaky piano pedal sample so that the sampled piano track passes unchallenged.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:42 am

dwlb wrote:

The real art is finding the place to put in the squeaky piano pedal sample so that the sampled piano track passes unchallenged.
SHHH!! :wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 am

dwlb wrote:

I think you've got that backwards, these days.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 am

dwlb wrote:

I think you may not have gotten the joke.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Italian Girls by Rod Stewart has a part where the bass just drops out and makes noise for about 2 bars. Incredible song though.

Tumbling Dice (stones) has a edit in towards the end where it slows down a bit. That one always bugged me.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:45 pm

Green Onions - Steve's first guitar solo starts off REALLY LOUD for the first 2 notes, then backs off quite a bit.

Rush - Twilight Zone 1:08- some string/pick noise as Alex prepares to wail some overdubbed leads. Course it's one of my favorite bits, and I wait the whole song for it.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:35 pm

dwlb wrote:
dwlb wrote:

No, see, I'm saying that the real question is not where to drop the squeak, but knowing which squeaks to leave in to prove that it was an unadulterated performance.
8)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:38 pm

dwlb wrote:
dwlb wrote:

No, see, I'm saying that the real question is not where to drop the squeak, but knowing which squeaks to leave in to prove that it was an unadulterated performance.
8)

Ah. :oneeye:

terencepalmer
audio school graduate

Post by terencepalmer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:05 am

In regards to the Beautiful headphone bleed, that was a track that Linda Perry wrote for her own album that Christina Aguilera wanted to record. Linda didn't want her to, but eventually relented to letting her have one try at it. The vocal performance is great, but of course the song arrangement surely changed a bit from the demo version to the album version. I find it a bit refreshing that it was an undeniable performance that led to this being released.

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Post by giuseppe_fl » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 am

On Johnny Cash's first American Recordings album he covers Cohen's Bird on a Wire, and I'm pretty sure there's a fairly obvious punch-in where he starts to sing "She cried for me" but then they punch in and he says "to me" so it sounds like "She cried out ff-to me."

I always got a kick outta that.