Best music we'll never hear (Fictitious or legendary)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 pm

toaster3000 wrote:the fabled take of nefertiti that was supposedly the most killing thing that the miles davis quintet ever played, but tape wasn't rolling. that's why no-one solo'd on the take that is on the record, because they were all pissed the the engineer fucked up and didn't get their best solos... only tony wanted to blow, so the whole song is a drum solo...

it could just be jazz lore, but it sounds believable, and i've heard it from more than a few people... and the take certainly sound like everyone is a bit pissed.

john
I thought the compositional concept of that tune, and almost the concept of the whole record, was that everyone sort of solos together OR that the rhythm section "solos" together under the melody. Take a listen to it really closely, the way the form of the tune goes and the structure of it all, the rhythm section is the soloist and stretches everything all over the place and builds it up. It's beautiful really.

Also, if you listen to the master take, I'm pretty sure there is a pretty obvious splice right after that drum solo leading me to believe the intro is from a different take. I could be wrong though because the sound what I think might be a splice could just be someone panning the drums to the one side and bringing the other instruments up for their entrances in the tune.

Jazz rules...particularly from about 1964-69.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:24 pm

in Don Delillo's Novel 'Cosmopolis', there is a description of this marching band with singers that was described very vividly that I would like to hear.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:23 pm

subatomic pieces wrote: Speaking of the Lips, I'd love to see them play again with Ronald Jones on guitar, Steven Drozd killing his drumset, Wayne in a t-shirt and Michael with an afro, in a small venue.
Me too. I saw them in this form right after Clouds Taste Metalic and my mind is still blown.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 pm

i'd have loved to hear how Pink Floyd might have continued if Syd Barrett hadn't lost the plot...but with Waters/Wright/Mason actually taking up some of the songwriting burden and maybe collaborating with him rather than just seeming to coast while Syd did the bulk of the work.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

diesel10
audio school

Post by diesel10 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:45 am

Tatertot-

Love your reference to Refiner's Fire- well played old man.

I have an Elliott Smith instrumental called Tiny Time Machines that I love but that has no lyrics over it. I have heard that it was made into a song called Suicide Machine, that was never posthumously released because his sfamily found it too painful (which I understand) but I'd love to hear it, because the music is so damn great.

On a personal level, when I was about 10, I had one of those handheld clunky tape recorders and made a recording of my grandfather singing "You Are My Sunshine" to me. For the past 25 years, I swear I have played every unmarked cassette tape on both coasts in an effort to find this. It's now the song I sing to my kids when they go to sleep and I think I would give almost anything to find it. Shit, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:58 am

wow diesel10 -- great story I sure hope you find that tape!!

Surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but that lost My Bloody Valentine record would be real good to hear. Keeping that in mind....

Everything A.P. Carter heard that "influenced" his songs.

The african-american guitar player that taught Hank Williams how to play guitar.

The call-response of the passenger pigeon. The cry of a Tasmanian Tiger.

The sound of the Tunguska Event from 20 miles out.

The tape (that I own) of my parents wedding 40 years ago that was recorded too slow or something...? (see http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... t=60s+reel)[/url]
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:48 am

Chinese Democracy, anyone? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 pm

Yeah, I was listening to some Chinese Democracy demos that I found somewhere and they are kind of cool. Strange melodies and progressions.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:56 pm

Smitty wrote: the mythical song of the sirens that nearly lured odysseus to his death (would i dive headfirst into my speakers, or would it just sound like Feist?)
I always liked the envisioning of the sirens in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou."

[<|>]

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:50 am

I'd love to hear the Three Amoebas recordings that Flea, John Frusciante and Steve Perkins did a few years years back. That stuff needs released badly.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:36 am

Item A: Setting: Harvard Square. Date: Sometime in late July 1989. About 9 pm if I remember right (just after sundown)

There was a father/son duo playing on the street. The father had a guitar (I think - maybe a bass, though). The son was sitting down playing a full-size cheapo keyboard. They had a small phalanx of little amps, a better-thought-out array than most street musician ensembles but not as well-equipped as your average Andean ensemble.

The music consisted of drumbeats from the keyboard, kid playing chords on the keyboard, and SINGING IN PREPUBESCENT VOICE while the dad strummed. The music totally resembled rock and roll, objectively speaking [4/4 time with a backbeat, normal chord progressions etc). My subjective experience of the music, though, was that it did not rock. It was the funniest/strangest/most distinctive thing I'd ever heard. I was with my parents and I insisted that we watch for several minutes.

I am PRAYING that the kid in this duo grew up to become one of the regulars here at TOMB. I would give my left nut to hear a recording of that performance again.

Item B: Setting: An outdoor T stop on the green line somewhere in Brookline, MA. Date: Midsummer 1994, on a sunny, muggy weekday midafternoon. I was busking with with my chum Matt while small numbers of passengers came and went. We each had a guitar. For the most part there were only 2 or 3 people around at a time. We were hardly getting any tips, probably because we were making up 'songs' as we went along. About an hour into our performance a guy in his late 20s came along wearing business clothes (shirt/tie/trousers) and was about to get on the inbound train when he suddenly did a 180 and came back to us and nodded and gave us a buck or so; We nodded thanks. Unfortunately for all of us, as he tipped us the train door closed and the train started rolling. He attacked the side of the train car and yelled racial epithets at the driver whilst the train continued to pick up speed and roll away.

Now we were stuck with this guy, all alone, on the platform for the next 20 minutes or so until the next inbound train came along. We didn't want to pack up and leave because that would be awkward (plus, then he'd try to talk to us and he seemed like a loose cannon) so we did our best to keep playing while laughing uncontrollably (while trying to conceal our amusement)

I wish I had a recording of that scene.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:17 am

* Premier performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9

* First Tuvan throat singer

* Fingerpicked versions of Nick Drake's Pink Moon and Place to Be (rumored to exist)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:07 pm

The second Mad Season album, featuring Layne Staley, which I read was recorded, but was never released.

Also, about 5 years ago, I heard Mazzy Star was recording again, but that never came out, either.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:44 am

vvv wrote:The second Mad Season album, featuring Layne Staley, which I read was recorded, but was never released.
I bet that you could find that somewhere if it was actually recorded. If someone has it, it has been uploaded somewhere on the interwebs!
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

meldar produxshunz
gettin' sounds

Post by meldar produxshunz » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:00 am

stereopathetic_banjo wrote:I'd love to hear the Three Amoebas recordings that Flea, John Frusciante and Steve Perkins did a few years years back. That stuff needs released badly.
i heard it. i am a closet frusciante head and i have to say...best kept in the closet. if you're thinking BSSM type solos and whatnot...nope. smacked out cheesy grooves that go NOWHERE.
waaaaaaaam...doggy.
http://matthewmeldonguitar.com