Portishead - Third

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

foxystoat
pluggin' in mics

Portishead - Third

Post by foxystoat » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:54 am

Hello all,

Maybe too aptly named?

I gave in (couldn't wait until the 28th) and <self-incriminate>downloaded a torrent of the album</self-incriminate>. <atone>I'll still be picking it up at a store on it's release date</atone>.

My God! I'm in a heaven I've not known in ten years. I'm still in love!

I'd absolutely no idea (nor did I care to conjecture) if I was going to like this album, even after hearing the first single, "Machine Gun". I've been listening to Portishead since I was in high school and their work has been very informative and inspiring to listen to after all these years gone by (I'm such an old, decrepit man now).

We were given a respite in 2002 with Beth Gibbon's (semi)solo album, "Out Of Season". It's been one of my favorite albums since it came out and I listen to it at least a couple of times a week. I'm still surprised every time I meet someone who claims to like/know about Portishead on a substantial basis, but has no idea this album exists or has never heard it. Mostly, you're lucky if people even know her name. I'm not trying to come off pretentious-like here, it's just a vexing issue.

If you liked "Dummy" and "Portishead", but haven't heard "Out Of Season", you might be somewhat taken aback by "Third". Portishead has always been very rhythmic and beat-heavy, using lots of synthesis and turntable manipulation. By comparison, "Third" incorporates the base elements that have informed you you're listening to Portishead (and there is no doubt it is them you're listening to with this album) on a much more subtle level. Instrumentation is far more acoustic-based, the use of synthesis sparse and the turntables absent (from what I can tell so far). Electric guitar is much more prevalent and is put to lovely use. Drums are usually *real* drums this time around, instead of synthesized or otherwise treated drum sounds. Experimentation with Beth's vocals, layering and such is welcomed and adds a lot to the soundstage of various songs.

I sincerely have no qualms with this album. It seems the perfect continuation of a band that will (pray to God) continue working together for many years to come. Often, I've wondered what my 'desert island scenario' album would be; I think I might now have found it.

Also, if you don't like the song "We Carry On", I think there is something terribly, terribly wrong with your innate, biological sense of music and rhythm.

Anyone care to share retaliations/stories/thoughts? I've been listening to and enamored by this band for over a third of my life, but I've tried to remain as objective as possible.

--
Regards,
Benjamin W.

nesta
alignin' 24-trk

portishead's third

Post by nesta » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:38 pm

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Thu May 01, 2008 2:23 pm

I too "downloaded" this album ahead of time and love it. I bought the cd the other day and damn if isn't mastered too damn loud! Several songs have digital distortion that I thought at first was my car stereo but I heard it on my KRKs too. This shit drives me crazy. Anybody else hear this?
Weirdly the download I got did not have this problem but they were pretty lowfi mp3s.

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Fri May 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Yeah I heard that hash as well. Bummer..... I thought it was my car stereo as well!

I thought we were starting to get over this.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri May 02, 2008 10:46 pm

DGoody wrote:Yeah I heard that hash as well. Bummer..... I thought it was my car stereo as well!

I thought we were starting to get over this.
that's what i thought on election day in 2004.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

bcgood
audio school graduate

Post by bcgood » Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Me no likey this album. Time to put my Roseland DVD back in and cry myself to sleep, oh these sour times.
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda